Order of Assembly?

bylawren

I have finished the Short Shot frame and am now working on the skinning/coaming. I have done a preliminary "fitting" of the skin and trimmed the excess cloth (leaving a bit for "oops" opportunities). I also have done a "running stitch" along the deck beam; however, I do plan to remove that stitch and do the corded stitching that Jeff shows in his video.

Before I do the corded stitch, is it safe to assume that the cockpit coaming is strapped in place and sewn on *before* finishing the deck seams are completed ? (Since one needs to know the starting/stopping place for the deck seams...). Can someone please confirm that this is the correct order? If not, further feedback/correction is welcome.

Put the coaming in place, and note where the seams need to end.

Stitch up the boat. You know where the seams start, remember?

Then sew in the coaming. It will suck out a tremendous amount of slack, if you have any left. Ask me how I know...:)

You are so close! Good work, and good luck!

Don't psych yourself out. It's easy. Really.

Peace,

Robert

• Like 1

I'll see if I have a picture somewhere, but when I sewed on the coaming for the Tadpole.  I did the  running stitch with the artificial sinew around the coaming twice so it was all sewn in.  Then, I went around the inside of the coaming stitches and whip stitched it all the way around my running stitches taking about half inch bites at the fabric.  That REALLY sucked in the little wrinkles all the way around and made the transition look very smooth.

I prefer to sew in a coaming first.  I have done it both ways and if you don't get the seams right, you can end up with a bunch (literately) of fabric at the coaming your are trying to do something with and there isn't much options at that point. So I do the coaming first.

• Like 1