Coaming thigh bracing

bagarre

Instead of making a plane, I decided to just use the router.

I'll have more photos of the lip later but here are of few of the setup.

A few things I've learned:

Screwing a 4x4 the work bench and running a single bolt thru the form allows me to rotate it <- huge convenience.

Cutting the form to allow for the cheek blocks <- huge PITA. It puts the clamps at bad angles and they slip off because the two surfaces are not parallel. 

I ended up running some screws into the forms so the clamps had something to push against. Drove me nuts and added a lot of time to the project.

Also, when cutting the clamp slots, take into account the max throat of your spring clamps and make sure you can clamp all the layers. After two layers, I wasnt able to use the spring clamps and needed to do everything with pipe clamps.

Pre-bend the wood. Use your heat gun and clamp as you go. Having your wood close to the final shape saves you frustration when gluing and gives you much tighter seams.

PVC clamps are wonderful! Thanks to Jeff for this idea.

Will post more pics later.

post-5722-0-80231000-1471269973_thumb.jpg

post-5722-0-16245000-1471269992_thumb.jpg

post-5722-0-93318800-1471270003_thumb.jpg

post-5722-0-76835800-1471270016_thumb.jpg

post-5722-0-68797800-1471270033_thumb.jpg

Here's a better picture.

I dont' know of an easier way to build up the cheek laminations because they are thinner than the coaming itself.

I thought about building the coaming hoop first and laminating directly to that but it might be hard to finish the bottoms of the cheeks are they are tapered.

post-5722-0-82853500-1471278140_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's an oiled photo just before I stitched it on boat #2.

Both boats are ready to go. Just waiting for the special urethane paint that was supposed to be delivered a week and a half ago :/

Gorgeous, brother!  I doubt I have the skills or patience to pull one of those off, but you can dang sure bet if I did I'd be showing it to everyone I could find!

bagarre, those look like laminated bows. They really turned out nice. Not sure which I like better. Do you have a preference?

Dave, Are you going to REALLY try now? I know you've been phoning it in so as not to embarrass the rest of us, too much. :)

Me? Oh, I just might surprise everyone someday by making something what ain't been painted and puttied half to death. Hehe.

Peace,

Robert

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliments.

Of the two, I like the second one more (the one not mounted in the photo). It has a rhythm about it that I like looking at.

They really weren't that difficult to make. Just lost of time and patience.

Run a ton of wood thru the table saw to make high quality saw dust (you can't just buy that in a store, you know).

Glue a few layers, block plane it fairly level, glue more layers...yada yada yada

They are time consuming but not really talent demanding.

I found there is a sweet spot around 3/16ths to an 1/8th that is easy to work with.

Any thinner and you need clamps every inch on both sides to keep it flat against the other wood.

Any thicker and it's a bear to bend.

I know some folks go round and round in one shot but I didn't have much luck with that so I did a layer a night on the coaming but could stack 3 or 4  in the cheek blocks.

Doing a layer at a time allowed me to scarf the joints and make them near invisible. On the first one, I just did butt joints.

I made the lip with a flush router bit and the router mounted under a table. 

Oh, and you need a ton of clamps. And you will always grab the pipe clamp that slips when you need a good clamp the most.

The worst part was the way I made the jig. The slots weren't parallel to the coaming which made clamps slip off at a frustrating rate.

• Like 1