What to do next...?

Abyssdncr

Been absent for several weeks getting out and playing with friends and family out in the water instead of building. However, I opted to skip KOSH this week and have a staycation at home instead. Found the time to finish my last build for the shortest stack in the house yesterday and get it launched. For what it's worth, spar varnish sealed the economy 6 oz very nicely (3-4 coats - no leaks at all!)

image_zpsierzpsxg.jpeg

And...now the build bench is empty, so...what to do next?

My inclinations are:

1. Wallops Island 12. Frames are all cut. Stringers are cut, but still need scarfed. Fabric is in hand. Should be a fast easy build, but doesn't add a whole lot of extra capability to the existing fleet.

2. Frame battan approach to modified FreeB lofts. Narrowed 20% to about 22.75" wide, stretched to 14', and made multi chine. Skinned with 1/8" Baltic ply. Bulkheads bow and stern, and a decent sized access to the stern hatch for camping gear and whatnot. Thinking of a fiberglass layer to the bottom and carbon powder impregnated epoxy for a bit of protection from the unknown in the river. Not true SOF, but the build style and loft roots would keep it quasi-Kudzu in origins. This won't be a quick build by any means, but would be a way cheaper rendition of a small touring yak, something I don't have yet. Frames are cut and laminated as appropriate, but that's all thus far.

So, whatcha think?

Jeff juggles lots of factors when he designs these boats. Strange things happen when you scale a boat up or down. 

You may find that although cloth will stretch around the boat and conform to the curves, sheet plywood is not likely to bend to fit the frame. Plywood will conform to a cone or cylinder shape, but not to a sphere - it won't stretch.

If you decide to do this, I recommend you try fitting kraft paper before you buy and cut plywood, then you can order cloth if the paper won't conform to the frame.

You might be absolutely right...

My inspiration for this plan came from this build: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?205321-Building-Thread-a-17-foot-two-person-Mirage-drive-boat

Based on what I was seeing, IF I can figure out how to accurately do the spiling on the planks, I think they'll make the twists and bends. The okoume on my wood duck is a lot wider and still took some pretty complex curves. It will definitely be an experiment!

Here's what I've got for frame stations:

0728161601_zpsqqlo6fk0.jpg

I have no intention of attaching Jeff to my off the cuff experiments. I can even keep it out of here if it might cause issues of that ilk. Just thought it might be an interesting adventure, and y'all are a fun crowd.

I've thought about redoing with hindsight's knowledge since FreeB was my first boat build...well, at least completion, ever. Adding a bow hatch, cup holder, fishing rod holder support structure, practical stuff, but then it might as well be a Castaway. I've since collected a small pile of Tupperware that does all of that stuff nicely as well. So decisions...

The canoe is simple and elegant with some nice places to get crafty in the execution. I'll at least get the scarfs going while the flat space is empty...

Allright another tweeker and modifier in the crowd. .......Welcome to the club.....

Converting from SOF to a S&G is really easy....Adding a second chine or pannel is tricky. .....

I am working on my 21st boat, I think...I started off with a wood runabout with a grafted in jetski drive back in 2006......Been human powered since......The 1/8" BBirch is great plywood 3 plys of stiff stuff....I use the 3/8" on a lot of frames except for the partial frames in the cockpit area......My teardrop camper has no thicker than the 3/8"ply annywhere.Some 1/4" and lots of 1/8".......

Allright another tweeker and modifier in the crowd. .......Welcome to the club...

Whew, for a second there, I thought I had committed the online equivalent of breaking wind aloud in a crowded public place...

I'm looking forward to just working with wood and PVA instead of epoxy or lashings. The lashing really isn't that bad when attacked with a mindset of piece by piece, but thinking about the entirety of the task depresses me a bit sometimes.

No clue if my multi chine conversion is worth a crap or not. I drew the lofts as narrowed with straight lines and added 3/4" to the middle of the lower two panels for the center two frames and 3/8" offset to the outer two frames to slowly bond it all in. Haven't decided if I want to do a fair curve for the deck panel and wrestle with a curved coaming, or keep them flat for an easy segmented coaming (and hatches), but I'll figur that out when I get there. Not entirely confident how much extra weight I'll be able to carry with it being that narrow, but at face value, it ought to roughly compare to a Carolina 14.

Well, I wished you the best, then offered any advice and encouragement, so I can't imagine how I could make you feel more welcome.

I also stated my only issue was changing someone's design without changing the designation.

So, again. Good luck on your quest. I offer any advice and encouragement.

My first advice is to take great care bevelling your stringers to meet your ply. I've built a couple ply on frame kayaks. It is nice, but I'd prefer 10,000 lashes to ANY sanding. :)

• Like 1

Well, I wished you the best, then offered any advice and encouragement, so I can't imagine how I could make you feel more welcome.

I also stated my only issue was changing someone's design without changing the designation.

No worries, and you're one of my favorites. Moreover,I fully intend to take you up on your offer! I just was a little hesitant as to whether this was a most appropriate place for such deviations from established norms. I'm more than happy to respect the rules of Fight Club, if Fight Club exists, if ya know what I mean...

Many thanks for the kind words. You should just know, your judgement is now subject to question. ;)

That said, it ain't my board, but I don't think anyone gonna mind too much. That one dude who's team won rings last fall (you paint a new poster, Woodman?) puts all kinds of plywood up on here, and we love it, and him.

This forum was my first reintroduction to the web, by the by, and it fooled me into thinking the web had changed. Ha!

This is a very special place. Don't talk about it! Hehheh. Isn't that the first rule? :)

Peace,

Robert

• 1 month later...

Second verse, same as the first...

Options floating about in my head are:

1.) Plywood concoction described above

2.) The wife paddled around with me in the canoe the other night and kinda liked the sitting face to face.  

(She gets a captive audience, I get to paddle - it's win / win)  So, a rowboat is in the running now.

I got my copy of More Fuselage Frame Boats last week and the Fly Fisher is tempting, but big enough

that I really don't know where I'd store that one.  But I haven't seen a completed one yet, so it's even

more tempting just for that reason, and it's short enough to get out of the shop.

3.) I have a set of Gentry's Wee Lassie plans that are gathering dust.  One canoe is great, 2 must be better...?

Plus, I've been wanting to do something with inwales & outwales because it looks cool.

4.) Back to row boats, I really like Gentry's redux of Phil Bolger's Amesbury Mippet Skiff in SOF style, and my copy of

Small Boats showed up Wednesday.  Be a bunch of work interpreting the very tiny design drawings and

converting to lofts I can work with from the bottom up, but it sure is cute.  Storage issue again...

5.) Vardo, Short Shot, and Stonefly all seem interesting...just because?  Long boats cause me a problem in my 

work space though, & I'm not sure the basement windows are quite big enough to let one escape the 

basement like that.

6.) Just finishing the d@mned CLC Wood Duck Double.

Thoughts?  Something else sound interesting?  I'm either going to start having to sell some creations or start giving them away soon though - my corners for shoving stuff in are quickly losing vacancy...

Good gracious. I ain't made a euro style paddle in a while, y'all. I'm down to the 150, then some 220. Sandpaper.

The tips will get a few strands of epoxy soaked polyester threads wrapped around the very edges, as much to stave off splitting as protect the ends.

Oh, and, of course, turkshead knots...

Peace,

Robert

post-4050-0-68979500-1473612530_thumb.jpeg

post-4050-0-56580100-1473612640_thumb.jpeg

post-4050-0-11138200-1473612654_thumb.jpeg