Anybody building a Spindrift 12

Guest Paul J [Aberdeen Wa]

Just curious if anyone has built one who is reading this board. Or an 11 for that matter.

I may have use for a boat that size that can do multi tasking. You know daysail/light racing, row and power. But mostly sailing. I would be car topping mostly actually pickup topping, small pickup truck at that.

Oh the cat rig not the sloop rig.

Paul J

paul@ultasail.com

Guest John Burritt

I'm just finishing a 12 for a friend who's been having a run of bad luck healthwise. I have a 10' spindrift I built a few years ago. Its a good multipurpose boat, but I think the 12 will be even better. We have 4 12s in the area - all almost finished, but only 1 sailing so far. I like the looks of the 12. Just wish it had been an option when I built my 10.

Truck-topping would definitely be an option. However, the one I'm finishing is on a small trailer. A small boat trailer with tilting bunks would be ideal. No heavy lifting, yet able to launch from the trailer without hardly getting the tires wet. Boat stuff can travel in the boat this way - easier than in the truck(car).

jbncb@coastalnet.com

John,

Good to hear you like the boat. I am going to car top for a bit. Then will most likely put it on a small trailer just for ease. My reason for the car topping is that I will be relocating my sail making business in about two years and that is the best option for transporting a small boat. Any trailer I tow will be full of other stuff.

Now before I purchase some plans I have to ask if you could post how many sheets of plywood does it take for one. And did you skin the boat with glass cloth. I will have more questions as time goes by.

Thanks in advance.

Paul J

paul@ultasail.com

Guest John Burritt

The 12 takes six sheets of 1/4 in. plywood. We've been using Okoume. We didn't glass the outside - only the seams - then sanded and faired the edges of the tape. Glassing the boat with light weight glass is possible, but you'd probably need to double the glass over the chines to get the strength needed there, so this wouldn't really save any fairing. Heavier glass would dramatically increase the weight of the boat.

jbncb@coastalnet.com

I have two good sources for Okoume plywoods here in the Northwest so that will not be a problem. But another question John; seeing as how you did not skin the boat did you coat it with epoxy or just prime and paint the hull.

Paul J

paul@ultasail.com

Guest John Burritt

All wood gets at least two coats of epoxy. We typically will put on one coat, then fair the hull with something like West System's microlight, then recoat it with epoxy and sanding again prior to priming.

jbncb@coastalnet.com