All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Today
  2. Sprit poles with pulley on the end with hook that hooks to the mast and then I guess goes down the mast to a cleat. No cleat on these sprit poles.
  3. I used the recommended lead in the plans on my core sound 17, it wasn't enough, so I needed a downhaul. Later I added onto the bottom and lenghened by 1". I used lead shot for that with thickened epoxy, premolded, bolted on, and used 3" tape to fair. 1) Carefully used a hand plane on the wood part where 1.5" of glass tape would go, and cut an a layer off to make fairing easier. 2) When casting added chopped Kevlar cloth for strength, and used Kevlar 3" tape in mold like a liner. 3) made sure to glass over kelvar when attaching mold to bottom of board, as kevlar frizzes when you sand it. 4) per the plans i actually had the extra room in the centerboard trunk for an extra inch. Just make sure if you weight your board, to add a bunkboard on your trailer, keeping a weighted board up adds stress on a lot of stuff.
  4. Thankyou so much for your help with this. Yes to bad we didn't get to meet while you were here in the area Bokellia Thankyou so much for your help with this. Starting to understand the layout. To bad we didn't meet while you were here in Bokeelia.
  5. The two white sticks in your latest photos are called sprits. The shorter one is for the rear sail, which we call the mizzen. The longer sprit is for the front sail, which is called a mainsail. The sails are trimmed (or pulled in and out) by the blue lines we call sheets. On your boat, the main sheet (highlighted in yellow) passes through the block (pulley) on the seat circled in yellow, goes up to the block (pulley) on the sprit for the mainsail, and down to the block on the other side of the seat. The ends are then passed through those cam cleats that are directly behind the blocks. Be sure to tie a figure eight stopper knot in the bitter ends of the line! The mizzen sheeting system is a little trickier. This is different than the drawing. Fortunately, I tried this way on my yellow boat, before going a more conventional route. I’ve highlighted those lines in yellow, and included a photo of the line (not rope) routing on my boat. I hope this helps. All of this is frustrating to me, as I offered to visit you last February 2023. In fact, I spent 10 days in Bokelia, and was semi-bored. Had I known you were so close, I could have looked you up. But you never responded to my offer, so I had no way of knowing. Water over the dam. I hope this helps.
  6. I found this in an old set of plans I have for a Core Sound 15. Your 17 will be pretty much the same. Do keep in mind that every boat owner rigs their boats differently. But the basics are shown here on these photos. If you want, you could request a pdf from B&B of the rigging plan for the 17. The cost wouldn’t be too much.
  7. Yesterday
  8. The akas are roughed out now. These are the support structure for the hatches.
  9. Sailrite (https://www.sailrite.com/search?keywords=Snaps) offers many snap options. The Lift-a-Dot and Twist Lock fasteners are the most popular. I like the most expensive ones, of course. The Loxx Pull It Up fasteners are cool. Haven’t tried them yet. A friend of mine made a tent for his Core Sound 17. He used Twist Lock fasteners.
  10. Are there any drawings of the layout of the ropes going to the poles and hooks on the masts. Would be nice to see a basic drawing of how the ropes are run up and out to the poles from the mast and pulley on the poles. These are the ropes I have that came with the boat
  11. Im looking for some clamps that I could clamp the ripstop or light canvas to the cowling along the edge which mine has about a 4" lip running all around the boat which is nice. Looks like I found tent tarps that will work and heavier then ripstock but not to heavy.
  12. Sailrite (https://www.sailrite.com/search?keywords=Snaps) offers many snap options. The Lift-a-Dot and Twist Lock fasteners are the most popular. I like the most expensive ones, of course. The Loxx Pull It Up fasteners are cool. Haven’t tried them yet. A friend of mine made a tent for his Core Sound 17. He used Twist Lock fasteners.
  13. Last week
  14. Most of the daysailers are set up like Paul356 has done, which is what I showed you in the photos above. But tje Core Sound Mark 3’s have a weighted centerboard, and no downhaul. Since I wanted the forward part of the cockpit clear for my first mate, I put a weighted c/b to my Bay River Skiff. I added about 15# of lead to the tip of the board. My uphaul line is located under the center seat, just to the left of the centerboard trunk. It works fine, and keeps The Boss happy. Let’s hope there is enough lead in your centerboard to do the trick.
  15. Nope, I followed the plans and did not weight mine. It floats. I use the downhaul to drop it.
  16. Im looking for some clamps that I could clamp the ripstop or light canvas to the cowling along the edge which mine has about a 4" lip running all around the boat which is nice.
  17. This must be a weight centerboard lifting keel. I have only one rope going to it from a jam cleat. I haven't had it off the trailer yet so I haven't lowered the centerboard till I launch it so I can place it on my lift that I'm rebuilding the bunks and install two new motors on the lift. I will be launching it soon. I'm also trying to figure out how the ropes run up and out the poles. Myself and a friend might put it out to the driveway and see if we can figure out the layout of the ropes. He is not a sailor and I haven't sail this type of boat. We will lift the sails etc on a day will no wind. I have on video I found on the Core Sound 20 that shows some of the rope layout.
  18. David Heckman is one example of a WCTSS member who could help you. He owns a Core Sound 17, and cruises with that group. I believe he lives in Sarasota or the Tampa Bay area. Dale Young is another. He just sold his Core Sound 17. He’s wintering in Avon Park, but just attended the cruising event on Cayo Costa very near you. There are others in that group who are owners of cat ketches, but these two comes to mind.
  19. Today, I’m cutting out deck panels.
  1. Load more activity

Supporting Members

Supporting Members can create Clubs, photo Galleries, don't see ads and make messing-about.com possible! Become a Supporting Member - only $12 for the next year. Pay by PayPal or credit card.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.