Using Excel for Lofting?

Alaskamike

I'm planning to buld a Greenland-style kayak using the fuselage technique. To try and determine the offsets, I measured a diagram of the boat that had "slices" roughly every foot and entered the heights and widths into Excel (one sheet of X-Y and one sheet of X-Z data). I then plotted them in an XY plot and added a curved trendline. The resulting curves look pretty accurate an I think I can extrapolate offsets from them.

So, my questions are:

1: Has anyone else tried this?

2: Does it sound like a valid technique?
Thanks.

Mike

post-5720-0-28495100-1469201887_thumb.png

If you have a model to work from, and dimensions for the "slices" you mention, those ARE offsets.

I don't use computers (this is a smartphone thing) for anything, though, so I'm not sure if what you're doing will work. I just think it is an unnecessary step if you already have a model or diagram to work from.

Good luck.

Robert

P.S. I really hope your are not borrowing lines from a living, working designer, but maybe rather recreating a historic model. ;)

I've used Excel to visualize the lines and dimensions of one of Jeff's boats (a Curlew published in his first book) and for an Iggy. I haven't actually lofted or built either boat. I think it gives a good idea of how the lines flow and can be used to extrapolate some measurements, such as waterline length and beam, deadrise, etc. I would not consider it lofting and would be prepared for surprises while building.

I'll also second Robert's hope that you're not borrowing lines from a living, working designer, but maybe rather recreating a historic model.

Right now I'm looking at the Cape Falcon F1, or something similar (12 - 15 feet, general purpose boat). The survey has data at specific intervals, but I'm looking to use 6 frames, most of which aren't on those intervals.

I also input the offsets from the Curlew to see how the curve fitting looked, and it was pretty close.

Mike