Cherry wood

Digger

This is something I've been wondering about, and is just a question to those who know more about wood than I do (I work with metal , have for a long time but not much with wood ) . But before anyone freaks out , I'm not going to use anything that isn't on Jeff's approved list of materials . Is there any application for cherry in the building of these boats , don't really know what properties cherry has .

You should eat their unborn babies. :) Delicious. I like Raniers...(they are pinkish blonde, and sweet, not very tart, though a good Bing is hard to pass up. Thanks, Ah!)

Then, you should build one of Kudzu's canoe type boats, and trim it with that dead cherry tree. Beautiful, fairly tough wood. Lots of guys trim canoes and such like small boats with it.

Or, as Dave suggested, a coaming would a be very sharp. That stuff is plenty bendy to make a coaming from. You can either steam (pick green wood, if you can, and check the grain carefully, because any runout is liable to crack, no explode...trust me) it, or slice it fairly thin. With Kudzu's thin slice/heat gun/glue method, cherry should be fine. And, it's pretty. But, you probably already know that.

Every tree is different, though, so generalizations about wood are hard. Tight grain is one quality desirable in any wood...

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

PLEASE, use it to make a laminated coaming, finish it bright, and post photos!

On second thought, if you use it for a coaming, you'll probably never be able to force yourself to cover it with a spray skirt. 

Maybe Jeff could convince Seals to make a clear spray skirt?

• Like 1

There are a few cherry sub-genius, but they fall into two basic categories, interlocking grain and non-interlocking grain types. Black cherry (American cherry) and sweet cherry (wild cherry, European cherry) are most common here and these are the non-interlocking grain types. They're easy to work, moderately fine, straight grain, though some can have some curly stuff with is much desired with furniture makers. It's a modestly durable (at best) wood in the marine environment. It doesn't stain all that well, without a sealer first.

Then there are the interlocking grain versions, like Makore (African cherry), Jatoba (Brazilian cherry) and Rosewood  (Patagonian cherry). These are harder and are often found in "exotic" wood flooring. The interlocking grain can make machining a pain in the butt, especially if planning. These woods are usually harder, denser and can warp more easily than domestic cherry. The easy check is to smell a fresh cut. Domestic cherry has a sweet smell, while the interlocking grain stock smells terrible.

As a decorative piece, it would be pretty. As a framing element, maybe too heavy, though certainly strong and stiff enough.