CS 17 323 Launched

JPower210

323 went for her first sail today-  My first time in a cat ketch and definitely still some stuff to learn-  I launched at the Harkers Island ramp in NC-  wind about 15 with occasional gusts.  The wind was directly onto the dock.  I double reefed just to be conservative, but I think I still need to figure out halyard/downhaul settings for reefing.  Quite a bit of belly in the sails.  Things went pretty well-  had to straighten out a few lines, etc., and one near capsize, but released the main and she stood right up.  It was a little disconcerting to see the water coming in over the side.  My Andersen bailer seems to be leaking a little so I will need to address that.  An official launch, with the name and a little ceremony and lots of pictures to come in the next few days.

My initial impressions are all positive-  I have been sailing for a long time, the last 10 years or so sailing my Westsail and a Shellback and a Dyer Dhow.  I am really impressed with the stability, and it is great to sit on a seat rather than on the bottom of a small boat.  I am also impressed with how fast the boat feels.  with really poor reefed sail shape, and a complete lack of familiarity with the new boat she was cooking right along.  I think I am going to like this....  :-)

John

• Like 1

Welcome to the CS club, JP. I love sailing the waters from Beaufort up to Cedar Island. The CS is perfect for the skinny water, Lots of cool gunkholes behind Shack and on up both sides of the sound. My favorites are where the channel leaves Shack and cuts across to Harker's Island, in Lookout bight, and in a little bay behind a big, old white house. I'll have to "Google-map" it to remember which bay. Will you be adding a boom tent or anything to sleep aboard?

Ahhh, yes. It's behind Davis Island at the mouth of Jarrett Bay. I anchored a little way out beyond the mosquito squadrons.

Dang---now I've done gone and made myself homesick for there...

Welcome to the CS club, JP. I love sailing the waters from Beaufort up to Cedar Island. The CS is perfect for the skinny water, Lots of cool gunkholes behind Shack and on up both sides of the sound. My favorites are where the channel leaves Shack and cuts across to Harker's Island, in Lookout bight, and in a little bay behind a big, old white house. I'll have to "Google-map" it to remember which bay. Will you be adding a boom tent or anything to sleep aboard?

Dang---now I've done gone and made myself homesick for there...

Hi Chick-  yep- boom tent/dodger is on the list-  It is a great area to sail, especially with a shallow water boat-  I love the Shellback I built but this is not the best area for a dagger board...

As far as being homesick-  let me help you with that- it is currently 91, with a heat index of 111.  We are all hiding out inside from about 10 am till sunset-   Some mountain lake sailing sounds pretty good right now....   :rolleyes:

Congratulations John.

Bring her by when it is convenient and we can go over the rigging/ reefing sailing details.

Thanks Graham!   Now I have to get started on the OB 20 kit-  but that project is on hold while I do a bit of refitting on this....

post-1220-0-95403500-1468515485_thumb.jpg

Congratulations John.

Bring her by when it is convenient and we can go over the rigging/ reefing sailing details.

ok- so I have been reviewing some pictures....  my new mantra when sailing the CS....  "it's a sprit, not a boom, it's a sprit, not a boom",  I think I figured out what my issue was.... :wacko:

Congratulations John.

ok- so I have been reviewing some pictures....  my new mantra when sailing the CS....  "it's a sprit, not a boom, it's a sprit, not a boom",  I think I figured out what my issue was.... :wacko:

Hahahahaha! My first sharpie sail lesson, too. I look forward to seeing all both your boats in pics, thanks!

Peace,

Robert

I found that the sails had a bit more draft in them than I was used to when fully set.  That is ok, as it is a light air setting.  As you reef down, the sprit will remove the excess draft and flatten the sails.  We had single reefs in for a steady breeze of 14 kts with gusts a little over 20, two of us on board, mainsheet in hand.  

All of my "to do" list projects are on hold as we are having too much fun sailing our CS 17.  These photos were taken prior to the wind kicking up.  Hope some visuals of the rigging can be seen.  

David Jost

post-2815-0-40433600-1468543920_thumb.jpg

post-2815-0-94464900-1468543920_thumb.jpg

David - Is the mizzen sprit a bit short?  The snotter looks like it has run out of travel but the sail doesn't look like it is stretched tight.

It looks like that to me too.  Also, is your mizzen snotter a simple 1:1 ratio?  Lapwing plans call for a 2:1 and is a smaller boat.

edit:  Both of these, if we are actually seeing them accurately, would contribute to not being able to flatten the sail.

David, I saw that you were going to replace your clam cleats with cams to prevent them from recleating when releasing the line...they make a nylon "keeper" that prevents that...part #814 or #815 depending on the size. Check the clam cleat website for a number of cool accessories. We can order if you can't find them locally. I've added them to all my clam cleats. Phil

• Like 1

David, I agree with the others who say your mizzen sprit is too short. I had to re-make mine a bit longer than the plans in order to get some room to allow adequate flattening. How long your sprits should be will depend upon how you rig the hardware for the snotter purchase. It would be best for new builders to build their sprits a little long until they finalize the rigging and then cut them to the right length. If you can pull your snotter rigging block-to-block, it's too short.