Ocracoke 256 #3

Guest Chris Beebe

Thanks for the advice guys. I have not though about using a resin and filler mixture instead of the tube/sleeve method and that seems a reasonable solution.

I am looking at all the options and I am planning on using a backing plate on the back side of the transom anyway but just wanted to be as prepared as possible to eliminate future problems.

Thanks again , also here is picture of the floor between the front bench seats.

oc 203.jpg

Made 2 of these a few weeks ago, cut them on a water jet out of 3/8" aluminum  and going to either polish them or maybe powder coat them ( silver) I am also thinking I should clear coat them.

Planning on mounting them on either side towards the back, probably use a drill and tap the back side and use a hidden screw from the back that way they will look clean and less of a chance for water to get through.

IMG_1733.JPG

IMG_1732.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The shop is not mine but a friends he is letting us use it and he is doing the final hull prep and painting for us. He is a very professional boat builder and we are very lucky to be able to work along side of him.

The deck hatch on the forward compartment between the bench seats is going to have a SS piano hinge on the side, the hatch for the bilge on the stern is going to have a catch type flange with a 1/4 turn handle so there is no hinge I decided not to use a hinge I would rather be able to remove it and set aside if I had to open it out at sea it would be safer than having it close on me like I had it happen in the past on other boats. I am making an L type Stainless bracket that I can slip under the rear lip and latch down.For the rest of the hatches we are using SS piano hinges.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Getting close, here are some pictures from this weekend. Teak is 99% done, hatches fitted, 99.9% of painting done except the water line we will do that when everything is installed and the boat water tested.

Hope to start wiring and plumbing and installing motors and electronics this week.

hull 18.jpg

hull 20.jpg

hull 21.jpg

hull 25.jpg

hull 24.jpg

hull 27.jpg