Dodger CS17 - HELP!

ecgossett

My metal is cut for my dodger... I'll post photos later of how I cut the free SS bowes I was given and shortened the middle..

A couple of questions for the experts:

The bottom of my sail gives me 16-18" of clearance off my forward deck. Sitting slouched in the boat my height is 33." from seat. However, the sail height from seat is 32"..

How tall should I put the dodger?????

Is one bow worth it and going for more of a windscreen then roof?

When I helped my fabricator design the dodger for my Renegade he mentioned that seeing over it, at least while standing was a huge consideration and I should consider it mandatory.  I am not sure how this applies to a Core Sound, but I suggest trying to find a height you can peer over some what easily while sailing.  If a dodger blinds you, no other attribute really matters.  Can you establish a height that you can peer over some how while still keeping your balance and control over your boat?  The sail height is surely a definitive restraint, but the sail is only in your way of sitting higher or partially standing while you are coming about or gybing.  Windage is also an issue.  You have to weigh the importance of the protection the dodger offers vs. the lost boat performance and your own objective and subjective considerations regarding this trade off of parameters and what they offer, both positive and negative.  More dodger = less performance and the inverse.  

Damned again because it is all related.

Here are some pictures of my recently finished dodger. I can not provide much empirical data as I have not been on the water yet this season. The idea was to keep the outboard ends as low as possible so that the helmsman could see over the top of the dodger. I made several mock ups to see what I could see over. The unit is of a more round shape to facilitate less visual obstruction. I will have to measure the apex of the arch but I recall it being about 10 or 13 inches above the deck. It will not be a place to sit up right if you are sitting on the seat, its primary function was to divert some of the spray coming over the deck. These boats are light enough that I would avoid as much surface area to catch the wind as possible. Hope this helps and if it ever quits raining here on the weekends I will provide an on the water report.

https://goo.gl/photos/8jfVRtSFxo1wEWqb6

Hope that helps a little,

Jim

Started with a giant frame and cut it shorter, and took middle out.. For middle part took a 8" piece cut down the middle several times, and used a vice to make it into an insert to put the frame back together.

Overall height is 13" above edge of forward deck.. For base I put blue tape 3/4" away from coaming to mark where the beam is. Once that was done I measured from bow on boat to each end of dodger. Marked on tape position. Then with Jenn on one side and both of us armed with tape measure, centered bases on lines exact same distance away from coaming.

The one part not in the photo is I used masking tape to mark where the frame is on the pattern. You can also use permanent marker.. Around edges of fabric, we drew a line with the marker.

It doesn't have the pretty curve of Jim's dodger, but I think it'll do to keep the cold Washington water off us.

post-677-0-34318600-1465446915_thumb.jpg