Vardo launch, finally

flynfysh

I know there is no better feeling. The first boat I ever built was an SOF kayak. The weird feeling of the water through the cloth, the exuberance of the boat floating, the amazing way it glided through the water.

That feeling, remains, no matter how many boats you build for yourself.

Congratulations.

• 2 weeks later...

Have any of you transported one of these kayaks on the outside of a floatplane. I have flown plastic canoes tied on the side of my Cessna 185 but I'm hesitant to do so with my Vardo (worked hard on it and don't want to hurt it) The plane travels at 115 mph. 

Honestly, brother, I would ask around your neighborhood. I can't believe NOBODY ever moved a skin boat on a float plane in Alaska...

The tongue in cheek answer is to build another kayak and then you'll have two floats. :)

Please post a picture of your soultion. Sounds like a real head turner.

I have not heard of anyone that has, but this method is similar to airplane construction and the fabric is MUCH heavier than aircraft fabric. Unless the boat got loose I wouldn't think there is a problem. If you are a pilot you know the importance of it being properly tied down. Coming loose and the drag created would scare me a lot more than the risk of damaging the boat. I have drug boats up and down the interstate on my trailer at 70 mph and never even had an issue or any kind.

Thanks Jeff, I have flown two canoes at a time tied to the struts of my float plane (I am a professional floatplane pilot and have an external load waiver for the plane) and have not had any shifting or drag problems...more worried about hurting the Vardo...thanks for your observations

I was checking out this old plane this weekend that belongs to my friend's dad, and I was startled to see it is way more spindly than one of these boats. Seriously. It amazed me how gossamer the framing and skin were on this old plane. And it will FLY! Like, loopy flying, and hard, swoopy turns. I think it was like a 2oz Dacron, maybe.

I had no part in the flying. I don't do that anymore. Done with planes, thanks.

That said, you should be fine with your boat. These things really are pretty tough. If it's secured properly, it probably won't even move much.

And I was sorta serious about the boat on a plane. Somebody, at some time, somewhere up there HAS to have moved a skin boat on a plane. And, if you really can't find any info or tall tales of adventure, you should invent some. :)

Please post some pics of your boat on your plane, and fly safely, brother.

• 1 month later...

still haven't had any time to try the Vardo on my plane...this time of year is extremely busy for me and after a 14 hour day of flying around tourist and fishermen I'm not likely to get back in the plane for fun...when I do fly it out i"ll post some picks.