NC Maritime Museum Wooden Boat Show - Beaufort

Designer

Another boat was launched at the Boat Show in Beaufort, NC...and what a story...

The Spindrift 12 shown in the picture was built in the Pamlico Community College Boatbuilding class. It was started by her owner, Bill. He became extremely sensitized to epoxy, but soldiered on - covered from head to toe in protective Tyvek suit and gloves and wearing respirator. During construction, he had to undergo major surgery. After a long convelescent period, he returned and completed the hull. Unfortunately, he was diagnosed with cancer and had to undergo radical treatment. At this point a group of caring boat builders rallied and finished the boat, right down to painting and rigging - ready to sail. We look forward to Bill's recovery and hope he has many years of pleasure from the boat.

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

Graham.

Your designs are beautiful and the individual boats are satisifying to build and sail. You said about the core sound boats that they are not designed to be racing boats but I appreciate how you design for speed. Keep up the good work and thanks.

Pat

Hi Greg,

The Grand Diva is, as I said, a longer, finer Diva. She is 17'6" X 21" and has a little more freeboard, otherwise she is similar to her smaller sister. Only 2 have been built, I have only paddled one for about 1/2 a mile and am very pleased with her so far. I hope to spend some more time in her before releasing the plans.

The Spindrift is a standard 12. The foredeck is longer and higher than the smaller Spindrifts. As you can't scale up people when you make a larger boat, the proportions change. The rig and daggerboard are further aft than on her siblings.

This boat is our Walkabout 22. It was designed for and built by Randy Marshall and his wife Bobbi. She won the 'round Carrot Island Race on the show Sunday.... and this proves it - we can design sloops :D

Wow! Very, very nice! I am impressed (but I still like the Princess Sharpie 22'!)

I have one more boat to share with you (Bill Heil had his CS 17 there, as he has been sharing his pics I won't duplicate). Miss Stephie was beautifully built by John Burritt with plywood stitch & glue. She is 18' long and was based loosely on the Handy Billie and will do 15 knots with a 15 HP Honda. These are older pics as I couldn't catch John at the show to take new ones.

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

Guest Bert Langley

What design is this? It looks like what I have been looking for. I have wanted to build a low power easy riding boat for use on one of our mountain lakes. I had been considering building the CS17, but (gasp) converting it to power only. Speed is not an issue, but light trailering weight, low power and a comfortable ride through chop is.

What do you think of the idea of a power only CS17?

Hi Bert,

Miss Stephie would be excellent to do everything you described. It was designed as a power boat with a sharper entry, higher bow and straighter run than a sailboat. The Core Sound boats are optimized for the sailing spectrum.

John built Miss Stephie mostly in our boatbuilding class at the community college. Even though I generated the panel shapes, the fantail, with it's nod to her early to mid 20th century Carolina roots, added a fair degree of difficulty. As much as I love the fantail, for it's local flavor and it's elegance, if there were interest in the plan and it were to be offered, I think I'd go to an either/or option...fantail or transom stern.

With the four stroke Honda in it's well under cover, the ride is very quiet and elegant.

If you want some feedback on her performance, comfort, ride etc...I'm sure that John would be glad to answer your questions.

Guest Bert Langley

Thanks for the reply Graham,

I did not catch the fantail in the first picture. i am sure it does add difficulty, but boy is it good looking. I think that this may be the disign I settle on. I have been a little frustrated in looking for the type boat I really want. Seems most powerboat designs focus on large motors and high speeds. I am looking for slower speeds but a soft and quiet ride. My last boat was pretty good, it planed at low speed and rode well. Unfortunately it was a heavy fiberglass I/O design that handled like a dog at less than planing speeds. Also, since we lost our mooring we had to trailer it to the lake. At nealy 4,000 lbs for the rig trailering it over winding mountain roads for nearly 100 miles became more work than fun.

I have given serious thought to building a straight displacement boat and have looked at several of the steam launch designs, planning on adapting them to a small outboard. Thinking displacement boat made me consider the CS17 hull as also a possible starting point (plus I have really liked that boat since the first time I saw it) Miss Stephie has some of the same good looks, but also apparently better speed.

More things to ponder.

Graham,

This boat does look intriguing. I could use her on the Michigan rivers and on the big lake when it is calm, as well as trailer her easily. How far/long are you from having a plan set for her, should you decide to do so? You have two customers for it already it seems.

Thanks,

Greg.

Obviously Ive been sleeping and didn't realize Graham had posted pictures of Miss Stephie. Graham did a great job with the design. Building her was lots of fun while pushing my skills rapidly up the learning curve. This is definitely a planing hull. She gently lifts up on plane at about 6 - 7 knots, even with 2 large people on board. We settled on the 15 hp motor as the largest we could fit without the stern well cover being too large and out of proportion. The 25 hp is dramatically larger and 50% heavier. Be glad to answer any other question you might have.