Wanted - Reefing ideas on Core Sounds

Davo

G'day folks - I'm thinking about reefing systems for my CS17 #36 - I have luff sleeves. I am planning to participate in a 10 day raid in Tasmania early next year and the organisers require you to be able to reef on the water. I do have the third mast step - but have never used it as the boat can handle just about anything fully rigged - but can't see myself unstopping and stepping masts while on the water.

I do recall Rob Blackburn had some sort of zipper system - does anyone have ideas/photos/etc?

All assistance welcome

Cheers

Davo

Hi Davo 

Here's a link to an old thread of mine about reefing my CS17.

http://messing-about.com/forums/topic/7063-reefing-cs17/?hl=reefing#entry61999

Luff sleeves make reefing problematic and I've never seen what I would call an effective system of reefing with luff sleeves with a sprit boom. Rolling the sail destroys sail shape and the snotter attachment means dropping the sail is very difficult. I can't imagine shifting the mast on the water in any condition where it was critical.

FWIW my opinion is that sail tracks are essential for an effective and efficient reefing system.

My 2c worth

Cheers

Peter HK

Hi Davo.

I have changed over to the 3rd step on the water in more wind than I could manage under the full rig (I also had luff sleeves).  It's scary but do-able and I believe it is not recommended by the designer.  Actually, I don't recommend it either if you plan ahead and can get ashore to change over on steady ground, but it is possible.

If you wanted to try changing to the third step on the water I would suggest you let the sheets fly, center the tiller and run downwind.  Loosen the mizzen snotter and remove the mizzen sprit-boom.  Roll up the mizzen.  Do the same for the main.  Then move the mizzen mast forward to the third step and re-rig it.  Obviously you need to have a lot of sea room to do this.

Try this in 15 knot winds before you try it for real.

I forgot to mention that others have reported that a CS17 sails alright under just the mizzen in its normal step.  I haven't tried that but an alternative to the method I just mentioned would be to simply roll up the main and keep sailing under the mizzen.  It may help balance the boat if you partially retract the centerboard.  If that works it would be way better than trying to re-step the mizzen on the water.

thanks guys - Ken I'm going to try the mizzen only idea this week and she how she sails - I have rolled the main in heavy weather before so it is quite doable - and of course the trick is reef early!

cheers

Davo

Davo,

I have sailed my CS17 many times on mizzen only. Oddly enough it seems to be better behaved left in the mizzen step instead of moved forward.  It took me some time to figure out how to adjust the centerboard depth to get things balanced.  Pointing is adequate but not as good as with two sails.  When you test sail mizzen only make sure you test out pointing ability and decide if it is adequate.