CS17 upgrades

Jim Stumpf

Hello everyone,

It's been a bit since I checked in to share my mods for this sailing season. If you have been following along I have been working on a fuel tank shelf, cockpit/lazarette table, sleeping boards and a spray dodger. I threw in some non skid on the floor while I was at it since I needed to paint because of the fuel shelf construction anyways. Everything has been working well and I am pleased with the exception of the spray dodger.

The spray dodger has been a battle, I have sewn upholstery, made all the cushions for Primrose and for my kitchen nook at home as well as sail bags and mast covers so my sewing skills are slightly better than beginner. The round arch mating to the oval cockpit opening has been a challenge. If you reference my earlier post and pictures you can see my harp had all kinds of cool looking kicks to get over the coaming...bad idea..gone. The 1903 vintage singer that I am working on has been less than reliable but I have almost beat it into submission or it has beat me into submission I am not sure. I still need to add sweeping flaps/wings to the end of the dodger to sweep it down to the side decks, clean up the fringed fabric around the harp and add a zipper for future tent attachment and vacuum off all of the dog hair that I have picked up dragging it in and out of the rec room at home.

Enjoy the pics and happy and safe sailing season to all of us this summer.

post-35-0-51443700-1461718944_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-30755700-1461718958_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-02443900-1461718978_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-41394600-1461718993_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-90513300-1461719007_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

One off features are very satisfying, but sure can be tedious and frustrating and takes a lot of time either way.  Looks like some nicely done and well thought out stuff.  I am doing some day sailing doo dads and such this spring for my Lapwing.  It's a good thing we like doing it as the hours just fly by.

Its celan today because of the fresh paint. In a couple of weeks it will be full of that smelly ohio lake bottom sludge that stains everything.   :wacko:

Spray dodger is substantially finished pictures at 11. After all of the struggles I am very pleased, if it keeps the water out of the cockpit when beating to windward I will be one happy camper.

Thanks,

Jim

After all of the struggles I am very pleased, if it keeps the water out of the cockpit when beating to windward I will be one happy camper.

Not so sure it will do that.  I find dodgers are great for those who can hide under/behind them.  But if the spray is flying it still gets to those back aft.  The best protection for the helmsman is a crew member hiking out directly forward.

• Like 1

That really looks sharp.  In the meantime, I picked up some ideas from your -- well, what are they called?  The pieces you're using to fill in the footwell forward to make a sleeping platform.  I like the way you did yours and now plan on something similar.  The boat looks great.

Thanks Paul.

A note about the seat filler boards... I found that the forward seating area at the curve of the coaming is a great place to hang out but the seat is too narrow for the average american backside. The boards in place in the picture just above will stay installed all of the time to make that forward perch more comfortable. I will try to get some pics of the way I have this all fixed in place pretty simple and secure, easily removed also.

Thanks,

Jim

After all of the struggles I am very pleased, if it keeps the water out of the cockpit when beating to windward I will be one happy camper.

Not so sure it will do that.  I find dodgers are great for those who can hide under/behind them.  But if the spray is flying it still gets to those back aft.  The best protection for the helmsman is a crew member hiking out directly forward.
I have an unusually large (think wrestler or rugby player, then think bigger) son and mastiff that both work well as live ballast and a dodger. One of them tends to bite at the spray sometimes though, and can upset the delicate balance of the boat. :)

The finished dodger on your boat looks quite nice, though, Jim...

Thanks Paul.

A note about the seat filler boards... I found that the forward seating area at the curve of the coaming is a great place to hang out but the seat is too narrow for the average american backside. The boards in place in the picture just above will stay installed all of the time to make that forward perch more comfortable. I will try to get some pics of the way I have this all fixed in place pretty simple and secure, easily removed also.

Thanks,

Jim

The seat filler boards really do make the boat a lot more comfortable for daysailing. They aren't just for expeditions. If you haven't put these in your CS, you should. You won't regret it. 

Jim,

The seat filler boards look great. Can you share the width of the ones you plan to leave installed.  i think it was Mister Moon who suggested that a good rowing position was forward so I'm thinking that those filler boards would also make a good rowing thwart.  Just install some oar locks 11 inches aft of the aft edge.  I played with the numbers and it looked like  about a 13 inch filler.  I've not been in a finished CS17 and haven't finished my build so I don't know how this would work out.

• 2 weeks later...