Another Newbie

HighDesert

I'm considering an OB20 build.

I don't think I need to say why I want to build this boat, but I will.  Seeing the photos on the B and B website was like the first time I saw Rachel Ward in the TV Mini-Series Thorn Birds.  Saying that probably says way too much about me.  Google it, if you're under fifty.

The problem is, I'm not at all confident about my ability to complete this project.  I'm the cautious type.  I've built a couple of boats (Jimmy Skif and Annapolis Wherry from Chesapeak Light Craft kits and a Wee Lassie cedar strip canoe), but nothing of the size, or type, of the OB20.

Exploring "Messing About in Boats", I've seen some encouragement given to first time builders interested in complex projects, but I have to wonder if they really are first time novice builders and if the advice isn't a little overly optimistic.

I'm probably the handiest guy on my block, so I think I could eventually overcome where I am lacking in basic carpentry skills.  My real concern is in understanding and following the process.  The boats I have built were accompanied by very detailed, specific and instructional construction manuals...which I appreciated and read many times over.  Hats off to CLC for making introductory boat building possible for knuckleheads like me.

Naively ready to move forward with my OB20, I ordered study plans for the new kit...and was immediately intimidated by them.  This clearly isn't going to be the "kit" boat that I was expecting.

I guess my question to you veteran builders and Messing About contributors, is would you really recommend this build to a "dedicated amateur" of my description and how willing and available are you to put up with dumb questions from someone possibly over their head in a boat building project?

Again, I really want to build this boat, but I don't want to initiate (and sink a lot of money into) a project I can't finish.

Carter Childers

Carter......I built a Spindrift 11N as my first boat, just to see if building was right for me. I've since helped a few build CLC kits. It's a whole different thing, sort of like baking a cake from a box and baking one from a recipe. B & B's instructions are enough though, and this site helps you when you need it. You can also call B & B and they are sincerely interested in helping you finish.

I'm currently building a CS20 Mark III from a kit. It's a much bigger project, and that should be your real concern. The skills you have from building a CLC kit are enough to move into this. The challenge is if you have the time and willpower to keep after it until done. I had a major personal setback last summer and it stalled me for a long time, but I'm working hard on it now. There is a woman (Suzy J) on the Wooden Boat forum who made a statement "I'm not talented at all. I'm just really, really stubborn" (even though it is clear she is very talented) and I think stubborn is an attribute of most of the "Talented" people I know.  I hope this helps you decide.

Hi Carter-  

Welcome to the forum-  I will echo Steve's comments-  I have built a couple of smaller boats and kayaks, a Weekender, and most recently am finishing up a CS 17.  Sitting in the other bay of my shop is a big wood box with an OB 20 kit.  I have two small kids, and finding time is tough, but I don't stress about the timeline and I figure if it takes me a year, or 4, to build that OB, either way is fine.  The support on this board, and notably from Graham and Alan, is amazing and a huge resource.  It sounds like you are considering the kit-  if so, I highly recommend!  I was going to do my 17 from plans, but decided to go with a kit and I figure it has saved a lot of time, as well as potential mistakes/wasted time.  It also takes out some of the "is this not fitting because I did something wrong" questions.  I say go for it!

Good luck, and if you decide to do it- definitely post progress here-

Take care-

JP

This will be a big project for you, but your experience level will get 'er done. The kit is well planned, so this helps and it has precise fits, which is more help. Determination and dedication are the real things you'll need, as this is where the novice builder "hangs" on a bigger project. Good problem solving skills are also a very valuable thing to have in the organic tool box.

Welcome carter! (Carter is my grandson's name too.)

I go with what the other guys say. You CAN do it. it helps to think of one step at a time rather than the whole project. Set short term goals, complete each, and it will all get done in time. As for "willing and available are you to put up with dumb questions from someone possibly over their head in a boat building project." We are all VERY willing and available.

I'm guessing that "HighDesert" means that you are out west somewhere? Maybe there is a Forum member out that way somewhere that can physically help you when you need it. So, where are you located?

Carter, only quitters never finish. Anybody can build a boat if they try, and keep trying. It is hard, but not impossible, you just have to want it, and do it. You'll need to learn along the way, sure, but you should ALWAYS be learning anyway. You'll learn different stuff you didn't know on the next boat. ;)

I'm on the western side of the Sierras, so I'm close to several high deserts. That's close to us in the western U.S., so 12-24 hours...

I ain't no pro, but I have built all types of boats, except cold molded and straight glass, and I have been building odd shaped objects for 20+ years, including more than a few skateboard ramps, which ain't but inside out boats, especially wooden pools and bowls...

Glad to offer advice, and maybe take a drive once or twice. I do not fly.

Thank you, gentlemen.  Thanks to all of you for your speedy responses and much needed encouragement.  I'm in. 

To tell you the truth, with such willing and talented support, I'd feel like a sissy not to go forward with this project.  I'll be contacting B and B this week to order what I need to get started on my OB20.  JP, it's especially fun that you're beginning your build at about the same time.  I'll be watching for your posts.

Steve, I'm counting on my stubborn streak to make up for lack of talent.  PAR, I'm guessing that "organic toolbox" means my noggin...aka tissue computer?  Bob, you're right, out here a days drive is nothing.  We'll connect sooner, or later.

Yes, I'm out West.  I live in Cottonwood Heights, Utah.  It's near Salt Lake City, but I have a place in the mountains with a big barn, which is where the boatbuilding will occur.

Chick, I only have granddaughters, or I'd probably have a grandkid named Carter, too.  My son's middle name is Carter and it was my mom's maiden name.  I hope your grandson likes it.  It took me a long time.

Thanks guys, I'll be excited to post again after I get started.

Carter

The boat is indeed a commitment. But never look at any of these boats in their mass. Use "blinders" so to speak and take one step at a time. Work clean and take your time  on all of the inside work for sure, even though you and anyone else may not see the cleanliness and neatness.  The experience will grow on you and after a while you will understand about what folks say about boats in general. "There are no 15 minute jobs"  The steps are the same no matter if the boat is a 12 foot or a 20 foot, but it just takes you longer.

Ty,

It's an experiment based on other small skiff-like sailing canoes I have seen. It's a little tiny, wall sided skiff, or a little tiny sharpie, if you will. If you want to be really mean, you migh call it a box boat, though it isn't affiliated with that particular dreamer except, maybe, in spirit. I built a proof of concept model years ago that haunted me until last summer.

The jury is still out on whether I got the foils, or their placement, right, but my buddy NAILED the sail I dreamed up.

I'm still tweaking the rig and foils, but plan more testing this summer. It goes right on the car, all the spars fit inside, and the leeboard leaves a cockpit long and wide enough to lie down.

Oh, yes. And with the sail down, two teenagers can stand up and wrestle in it, but with the sail up, you'd better look sharp, and NEVER even do anything remotely like cleating the sheet. :)

Thanks for the interest.