Panda FREE Antivirus for Personal Use (affiliate link)
AmosSwogger

Core Sound 20 Mark 3 Build - Chesapeake, VA

207 posts in this topic

Are you commenting on my "all the way down"? If so, I mean that I feather the edge of the tape "all the way down" until it blends in with the wood. Of course, the tape weave has had a filler coat of poxy painted on to fill the weave. i extend this out onto the wood a couple of inches, or just epoxy coat all of the wood at the same time. Actually, I prefer to finish blending the tape before a couple of coats on the entire boat.

No, Chick.  Your taped seam work has always impressed me.  I'm glad you shared your technique with us, because I have always wondered how you got your seams to look so good. (This is the truth!)  My comment was weird, and needs explaining.

Somehow, I found myself at the beginning of this entire 11 page thread.  It hit me funny that Amos' first boat is one of B&B's largest kits. So, it appears that Amos is starting at the top of the product line, and working his way down.  Sorry for the confusion, everyone.  Not sure what I was thinking.  

27 minutes ago, Thrillsbe said:

No, Chick.  Your taped seam work has always impressed me.  I'm glad you shared your technique with us, because I have always wondered how you got your seams to look so good. (This is the truth!)  My comment was weird, and needs explaining.

Somehow, I found myself at the beginning of this entire 11 page thread.  It hit me funny that Amos' first boat is one of B&B's largest kits. So, it appears that Amos is starting at the top of the product line, and working his way down.  Sorry for the confusion, everyone.  Not sure what I was thinking.  

I wouldn't be able to build a boat like this without the help of this forum (and people like Jay who let me look at his boat in person).

I think my next build will be a Moccasin!

1 person likes this

My first boat built after MANY years was a Moccasin 2. (I built a few race boats way back in pre-history.) I sold it after awhile, but missed it and built another. Then sold it when we moved up to the mountains of North Carolina. Just finished a B&B motor canoe (I know y'all followed along.) and am considering yet another Moc 2. Miss Debbie would like the Moc 2. She enjoyed paddling with me, but also resting while I paddled.

1 person likes this

In general, how do you bed wood screws?  I need to screw some fittings to the tiller and will be screwing the hinges to the hatches soon (pictures coming soon).  I have drilled/filled/drilled every hole until now.

Use a countersink on the mounting holes. This provides a place for the bedding to live, after you've tightened things down, instead of just squishing it all out, as it's tightened. It also forms a donut shaped gasket, that surrounds the fastener shank and squeezes it, as the fastener is tightened home. There's plenty of bedding choices (BoatLife, 3M, etc.). On these countersunk holes, I'm assuming you'll have a flat over it, in the form of a piece of hardware.