Introducing MalwareBytes 3.0 (affiliate link)
AmosSwogger

Core Sound 20 Mark 3 Build - Chesapeake, VA

188 posts in this topic

I definitely will have oars on this boat, so I'm thinking I need some blocks under the coaming cap for the oarlock sockets.  Is there a recommended location for these sockets?

Couple of random pictures (I keep forgetting to take better pictures).

Here is a QSWO angle adapter for the boarding ladder.  There is a large angle difference between the boarding ladder flange and the transom.

20170605_175327.jpg.9e899b8aab6112212ec46e8ede5027f2.jpg

Here is the inner coaming temporarily propped into place.  I roughly planed down the cleats to the approximate angle with a spokeshave, then fine tuned them with an orbital sander (the spokeshave sole wasn't quite wide enough to shave them both at once, while the sander could span both coamings).  This process worked well for me and went quicker than expected.

20170612_152714.thumb.jpg.aa0e0957564193581fc2f039e2c8d6af.jpg

I installed the trim pieces around the centerboard well opening (the rabbit accepts a Lexan cover).

20170509_185309.jpg.36d728d39410c8c6d71eebc7a3121272.jpg

I purchased this gouge years ago for $5 and haven't used it until now; it sharpened up nicely and worked well to make the insert that fits over the centerboard well opening (I forgot to take a picture of it in place).

20170509_195619.jpg.ba2844bd12d85afff742688bdf290bee.jpg

Amos, that looks great!  You are getting down to the 20% left to do mark!  (Took me several months to do the last 16%, still got 4% to go to call it completed.

Just got back from the Texas 200 with our boat, good fun!  Southern Express loves those winds.  We stayed on plane for about 10 minutes continuously!  A first!  We have a video of the event and will post it on a separate post later. 

11 hours ago, Jknight611 said:

Amos, that looks great!  You are getting down to the 20% left to do mark!  (Took me several months to do the last 16%, still got 4% to go to call it completed.

Just got back from the Texas 200 with our boat, good fun!  Southern Express loves those winds.  We stayed on plane for about 10 minutes continuously!  A first!  We have a video of the event and will post it on a separate post later. 

Awesome; I'm looking forward to your video.

Looking awesome......we are in similar places. A surprising amount of fideling on those few items!

I am installing the same ladder. Are those lag bolts or did you make a matching angled piece inside to through bolt. (Love the look of the aged transom, but considering the motor mount troubles it makes me wish it was straight or "normal")

7 hours ago, Steve W said:

Looking awesome......we are in similar places. A surprising amount of fideling on those few items!

I am installing the same ladder. Are those lag bolts or did you make a matching angled piece inside to through bolt. (Love the look of the aged transom, but considering the motor mount troubles it makes me wish it was straight or "normal")

Those are through bolts; there is another angled piece on the inside.  I agree, these details eat up significant time.

Know what you mean!  Our boat has been sailing for two years, and we are still finishing it!