Core Sound 20 Mark 3 Build - Chesapeake, VA

AmosSwogger

Round two went much better.

Scrap lead and a heavy duty thrift store pot:

20170204_131911_zpsi3ikydgq.jpg

I mixed together bentonite clay and playground sand with just little bit of water.  The ratio is roughly 10:1 sand to clay (by weight, not volume).

20170204_152353_zpskhtkopac.jpg

My four year old was all about working with the sand (must be all his years of playground experience :D).  We compacted the green sand around the template.

20170204_143739_zpsrxjntp89.jpg

We melted the lead over a charcoal fire and poured it in.  The respirator probably wasn't necessary, but I had one so I wore it.  If I had to do it over again I would enlist a helper and make a two person handle as the pot was pretty heavy (but I had a window of opportunity and just had to go for it).

20170204_164335_zps0vfniobc.jpg

It came out pretty good.

20170204_172646_zpsgvbimyvd.jpg

Lead actually handplanes very well.

20170204_181750_zpslxosk1ja.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Great pics. We are in similar spots progress wise. A couple of questions.

1. Is the cleat along the cabin top left proud so you can plane it to match the curve of the cabin top?
  2. I don't think I see the aft cabin knee. I'm putting mine in just temporarily with plans to remove it. I think it is sort of in the way and when I went to see Doug Cameron's boat he didn't have one, so I'm good with leaving it out. I made a base out of a couple of cleats and screwed it in place to guide the strake and I will remove it after my cabin is done. 
  3. Is the 75 degree slant the same on both your supports and do you think two per side is enough?

Thanks

1.  Yes, the cleat is left proud.

2.  I am planning on using laminated cabin beams like Chick and skipping the hanging knees.  I still should have temporary wired the knees in place for alignment purposes.  I did hold them in place and everything looked good, so I didn't wire them in.

3.  Yes, the 75 degree slant supports were the same on both sides.  When I released the shear strakes from them after the tack welds dried, they did spring back away from the supports slightly.  The amount of springback was the same on both sides, and sighting down the top edge of the strakes shows a fair line, so I'm not going to force them back (that would produce a slight dimple).

Here is the springback.  It is about the same on the starboard side.  I'm not worried about it; I'm just going to leave it as is.

20170220_135746_zpskru7mjsn.jpg

This picture shows how much I had to spread apart the shear strakes at the knee locations (using a temporary spreader) to achieve the design dimensions.  As you can see, it wasn't much.  Everything worked out well.

20170220_131942_zpspwc0xlpq.jpg

I didn't use temporary knees on Summer Breeze. I did make sure that the distance across was correct like Amos shows, but I didn't make sure that the angles were correct, so one cabin side (sheer strake) was leaning more than the other by a small amount. No big deal, but that makes the curve in plan view different on each side. Please don't tell the Breeze that she's not symmetrical!Lesson: temporarily place the knees, or at least check the angles of the cabin sides at the knee locations.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is the motor mounted.  I bought the 2.5 HP Suzuki that Don Silsbee recommends  :lol:.  I forgot to mention earlier that when I made the mount, I copied the angle Pete had annotated on one of the pictures of his motor mount.  It was spot on; the motor shaft is vertical (thanks Pete!).  The motor just barely cleares the bottom of the hull when rotated.

20170424_174911.jpg.28bd0997a08493f62e80442ace201761.jpg

Edited by AmosSwogger