Core Sound 20 Mark 3 Build - Chesapeake, VA

AmosSwogger

• 3 weeks later...

I finished fiberglassing the ballast tank.  I am preparing to build the cradle.  What checks should I complete to ensure the cradle pieces are aligned properly to each other?  I plan to 1) string a line to ensure the center line of each cradle piece is aligned, and 2) check the cradle for square by measuring from corner to corner.  What other checks do I need to make?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This jig worked well for scarfing the cleats.

20160801_104021_zpstuzho6h6.jpg

My wife helped bend the cleats in place, we enjoyed working outside.  Building this boat is a great family project.  It is time consuming, but much eaiser than I anticipated.

20160820_190428_zpsxqwvm6sd.jpg

The hull panel unfolding went without a hitch.  I'm closest to the camera; the other folks are my neighbors who enjoyed the process.

20160905_094349_zpsbqqc6oby.jpg

This was a fun neighborhood event.

20160905_094759_zpsfr0rfvx3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have been really busy at work, but this weekend I finally have some time to work on the boat.  

I'm making preperations to put the module in.   I want to make sure that I haven't forgotten anything on the module before I put it in.  I am not going to lay down the epoxy keel before I install the module; I will do it in sections afterward.

Here is what I have completed on the module:

1.  Fiberglassing/sealing the ballast tank area (I am confident I am done with this, the weave is completely filled; I have 5 total coats of epoxy; probably overkill but it helps me sleep at night :) )

2.  Installed the closed cell foam bumper for the centerboard.

3.  Scuff sanded about 4" up from the edges where it will get fiberglassed taped to the hull.

4.  Sealed the bottoms of the posts that boundary the centerboard area.

Is there any other areas of the module that should get fiberglassed before I install it?  Should I use straight epoxy or fiberglass the dry area aft of the ballast tank?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to work within the window of epoxy curing time to minimize sanding (as Alan shows in his excellent YouTube videos).  

Question:  If I lay a fillet down before I go to bed (at 8:00 pm), can I lay down my fiberglass tape when I wake up in the morning (say 6:00 am) without sanding?  Temps are in the upper 60's/lower 70's.

Hi Amos,

Sorry about the timing of this message.   I have found it best to put the tape down while the fillet is still a little soft.    That way little peaks and gaps in the fillet won't keep the tape from lying down flat, giving you bubbles. You can smooth the peaks down with your gloved thumb.     You can still get the good chemical bond in the AM, but you might want to knock off any big bumps before laying the tape out, especially in the corners.

Thank you for the reply; that make sense.

I'm trying to work within the window of epoxy curing time to minimize sanding (as Alan shows in his excellent YouTube videos).  

Question:  If I lay a fillet down before I go to bed (at 8:00 pm), can I lay down my fiberglass tape when I wake up in the morning (say 6:00 am) without sanding?  Temps are in the upper 60's/lower 70's.

• 2 weeks later...

The module fit very well; no issues.

20161008_141437_zpsiwtmhhuy.jpg

My daughter was the first person inside the boat.  She wants to name it the "Pioneer" as she enjoys reading "Little House on the Prarie".  I told her the ocean is similar to a prarie.

20161008_141132_zps8zo0sylg.jpg

I laid down the first section of the epoxy/fiberglass keel.

20161008_174544_zpsbcwkyzt0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Coming along very nicely Amos, the workmanship is a credit to you. At this rate you'll be able to make America great again all by yourself :) (Sorry, couldn't help myself). Your apprentices look like they are enjoying the project too!