Race to Alaska, new challenge for West coast CS boats?

Richard C

• 1 month later...

That would be Edward -  Ed, please step up and share your plans.   This race seems ideal for a CS17 or 20mark3 along with an iron crew of three.  They would be competitive with the right combination of beating to wind under ballast and rowing unballasted in during calm weather.    Race starts June 23rd. 

What do you guys want to know? I just got back from a 94 day northern sub patrol, and found out my teammate who was covering 1/2 the costs could no longer make it from DC.

I thought smaller and am doing the first leg of the race again, and flying my father out.

Everyone at beer table race meeting several years ago, wanted a version of Everglades Challenge. There was actually an attempt for a trial Orca WaterTribe challenge. Month before chief couldn't make it, and called everything off.

This race was born out of need for a variety of boats due to water and conditions, meeting insurance requirements, yet fostering affordable innovation, and creativity. Some perceived rules no one liked with EC where changed; yet believe me there is a lot of red tape required, and unbelievable amount of information provided that is given to both countries cost guard, boarder control, and race bosses use for safety matrix.

• 3 weeks later...

Another great feature of the Core sound's in WA State is in low tides I can still launch in the mud.. I pushed the boat out 20 feet with rope running to the kids on the dock, by the time I'd parked the boat was high and dry. We waited an hour until

we had 6 inches of water and managed to get out.

A little practice this weekend with my 8 year old and future racing partner driving.. Yes, she was screaming when we would burst to 6.4knots.

I finally pulled the centerboard out after about 3 years, a few scratches from sand etc. The rope on the bottom held up great. My three year old sanded, and I used West System 310 micro fairing to make a nice coat to sand off. It will be smoother then when I originally built the boat.

The tab with the pulley's has really taken the worst beating.. I've resanded and repainted several times in that area.. It just gets beat on with blocks, rope and people or gear bumping and kicking it.

post-677-0-43745900-1465275874_thumb.jpg

post-677-0-27875100-1465275876_thumb.jpg

post-677-0-88540400-1465275877_thumb.jpg

post-677-0-35390600-1465275880_thumb.jpg

post-677-0-81698700-1465275881_thumb.jpg

post-677-0-16342100-1465275883_thumb.jpg

This post makes me miss my sailing partner and helper, my 3 year old grandson.  It will also make my visits even more fun to look forward to.  What great fun and satisfaction messing about in and with boats with children is.  Fortunately the US Air Force moving allowance covered sending my custom box trailer containing one Spindrift 9 N from MA to GA as part of personal posessions.  Now when I visit we have a boat to sail together.  Thanks to home building, great designs and the Air Force, I can afford owning 2 boats in different places at the same time.  I like picture #5 best Edward   ;)

My partner Kinley double checking my work:

post-442-0-72049100-1465310037_thumb.jpg

Hey Dave. Where is Georgia? If it's upper and west, it may be fairly near me. Sure is a purty boat your young-un is measuring.

He and his parents moved to Brunswick, south of Savannah on the coast.  They will be there for at least 4 years with no chance for deployment as my son-in-law accepted an assignment  as an instructor  at https://www.fletc.gov/  It would seem they couldn't be further from you and still be in Georgia if they tried.  What is it, about 5 hours drive apart?

• 2 weeks later...

Finished sanding foils, while wet with 320grit.

Process was 4 coats of graphite epoxy with 80 grit in between. Then 120 grit, 220 wet, and 320 grit wet.

Still a couple small areas of epoxy that could be a little flatter, and a few raised spots from filling in minor imperfections, and a couple of touches or primer showing through. However, I think I'm at the point of diminishing returns and will be skipping any more coats this time around.

The other side is almost perfect!! The difference was I went to 120grit before applying the first coat of graphite epoxy.. It seems to have made everything easier for later sanding.

post-677-0-42894800-1466123445_thumb.jpg

Dodger, tent, and improved tiller tamer are complete!! Boat goes a lot faster with my much improved centerboard and rudder. I faired, sanded, graphited, sanded etc.

I attached a photo showing the tiller tamer.. We plan on purchasing a small SS s-hook and closing one end, to make removal faster then the carabiner. It's straight up bungee cord, and we tried a plastic/aluminum cleat the aluminum grabbed the bungee much easier.. No need to hook in a piece of rope to it. Having the big screw in hook right behind where I grab the tiller, versus further back means the tiller can turn harder, and less chance of scraping top of boat.

Boat still doesn't ROW worth crap in HEAVY wind.. Once broadside to wind with board down, very hard to turn boat using forward rowing station, and rudder all the way over.

post-677-0-46697200-1466482649_thumb.jpg

post-677-0-97618000-1466482650_thumb.jpg

Back in Us.

After helicopter almost capsized us at start line (read the news), we started race reefed. Maybe running we should have unreefed, but we hit 9knots reefs and dug bow in a couple of times.

Went west before shipping lane convergence zone we where told to avoid. About the time we started north, wind died for a couple hours.. a card game out two later, we got some wind and made it to Victoria.

Coming back today was rough, accidently cursed on radio while reporting position to vessel traffic, because it has gotten so rough at 32 knots of wind, we wanted to update our location. Mid broadcast, got slammed between waves, and sails kissed other wave with water coming over side..

We stayed pretty dry until motoring into the wind tunnel in the protected Anchorage at port Angeles. Water and spray constantly over bow and dripping.

Back in Us.

After helicopter almost capsized us at start line (read the news), we started race reefed. Maybe running we should have unreefed, but we hit 9knots reefs and dug bow in a couple of times.

Went west before shipping lane convergence zone we where told to avoid. About the time we started north, wind died for a couple hours.. a card game out two later, we got some wind and made it to Victoria.

Coming back today was rough, accidently cursed on radio while reporting position to vessel traffic, because it has gotten so rough at 32 knots of wind, we wanted to update our location. Mid broadcast, got slammed between waves, and sails kissed other wave with water coming over side..

We stayed pretty dry until motoring into the wind tunnel in the protected Anchorage at port Angeles. Water and spray constantly over bow and dripping.

post-677-0-68753400-1466807308_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...