Boarding Ladder

Steve W

I was perusing the threads as I do at work when I need a break and saw a thread talking about Thrillsbe's boarding ladder. I'm trying to figure out an unobtrusive solution and watching this video makes me think this looks pretty good. I did a Google search and found this video. The end of the video showing the fisherman falling overboard hits home. I think a boarding ladder is an essential piece of safety equipment and this looks pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2WVZfNBTGM

And the Manufacturer's page:

http://www.garelick.com/Compact-Eez-In-II-Transom-Ladder

And I couldn't find the weight but Amazon's shipping weight is 7.1 pounds, which seems promising. Ultimately, it's pretty expensive (about $180) and I prefer to make stuff myself, but I can't think of a better solution. It also requires a 13 degree transom angle so I'll need to figure out a way to reverse that on my boat, but that shouldn't be too hard.

Don, have you used yours and what do you all think?

And finally, I've started a new thread because I couldn't find much on this. I'm open to other ideas.

You can create a mounting wedge on the back side of the face plate to deal with the transom angle as long as you have room inside of the boat when its collapsed inside. Just plan according and maybe mount it low enough to deal with the upward angle when going back in.

Amazon has it a wee bit cheaper.

Steve, next time I build I am considering mounting one of the ladders intended for mounting UNDER a swim platform, only mounted in a water tight compartment a few inches above the water line. The idea is that when retracted the ladder is inside the boat and mostly out of site.

Dear all,

The Flying Scott Class has a mandatory mounting rope on their transoms.  They have two eyes at either side of the transom. They tie a rope from one to the other.  The rope is slack and hangs down to near the bottom gudgeon.  The rope is between the rudder and the transom.  To remount, grab the rope.  Then reach for top of transom.  Put foot in rope and step up.  It is not easy, but easier than climbing aboard without an assist.  Also it is minimal build and interference. Climbing up into a boat is always hard.   I will try this first.  if it does not work out, no wood was injured in the process. 

Regards.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, I got some action photos of my Garelick EZ-in boarding ladder.  It works great.  You just need to be careful where you place it, so it clears both the seat top and seat side.  (I continue to have problems posting iPhone photos taken in the Portrait orientation.  Sorry!)

post-3770-0-06693000-1462155314_thumb.jpg

post-3770-0-93855300-1462155322_thumb.jpg

post-3770-0-38092700-1462155364_thumb.jpg

post-3770-0-00751300-1462155376_thumb.jpg

Don, I feel your pain. I don't even have a computer, it was this dumb phone I HAD to upgrade to what got me on the net and onto this forum.

I can't post portrait shots, either, but landscapes are just fine.

Luckily, I'm a terrible phoneograpger (is it still a photo?) anyway, though, so I don't think my art suffers from it.

Well, maybe not art, but vision.

Your new boat sure is pretty.

Thrillsbe.....I'm glad to know it worked out, because I bought one and it certainly isn't cheap. It was delivered last week. This weekend I fitted it to my fake transom I made to create to figure out the motor mount. Other than the fact I have to make a wedge adapter to change the angle of the mount, I think it will work well. In the Mark IIIs just outside the longitudinal bulkhead opposite the motor mount seems like a good spot. I'll post my plan when its finished.

• 8 months later...

This is the ladder on the stern of my CS17.  It works well (flips up when not deployed).  I have successfully used it to board after a planned swim.  It too, is a Garelick. http://www.garelick.com/Stainless-Steel-Transom-Ladder-Step-19512.  Observe the rating (275lbs max). 

18969652420_d891382d2a_z.jpg

Mine is cut-offs from my halyards and a teak tread.  It is mounted on the inside of the top of the transom and is rolled up and held with rubber bands hanging on the inside of the transom.  When deployed the step is just below the bottom of the boat.  Boat is covered up while I use the shed for my latest project, so no pictures.  Simple, works and nothing mounted on the outside of the transom.  Some one here gave me the idea, I just designed mine to fit the boat.

http://messing-about.com/forums/topic/10020-spindrift-12-in-so-caobservations/

Graham mentioned he has one of these for his EC22 and that it pushes forward as he climbs up.  There's a technique to climbing rope ladders.  If you want it not to push forward, climb up the side of it or loop your legs around it so that your feet contact it from the back as you climb the front.  This will balance the forces so that the ladder doesn't just push forward.  I would use the latter technique in this case.