CS 17 Update since we seem a little MK3 centric right now...

JPower210

Hey Y'all-

Since I have not been seeing any posts on the "classic" 17's i thought I would give a quick update-  Number 323 has been progressing steadily, if somewhat slowly-  amazing how much time a 3 yr old and a 1 yr old take up  :)

I have been fairing, and sanding, and fairing, and sanding for what seems like forever.  I have become a huge fan of System 3's QuikFair.  The skeg went on last night and I hope to have paint on the bottom by the end of the weekend.  Then I will flip her back over and finish out the inside.  I have also been working on other projects at the same time- the masts, rudder, centerboard, hatches, etc. are done.  Before I flipped the boat I completed all of the framing, seat tanks, etc.  So, when I flip her back over, I will have the carlins, coaming, forward seat tops and decks to complete.  I am leaning towards a painted deck, (I am a fan of horizontal surfaces being painted for maintenance reasons), but we will see how the ply looks when I get it laid down.  The tiller, coamings, thwart and seam covering board on the forward deck will be bright.  I am also planning on some rubrails, with stainless half rounds, out of mahogany that will probably be finished bright.  I finally feel like the end is in sight and I am looking forward to having the boat done in time for the July 4th race here in Beaufort.

post-1220-0-83562200-1460569484_thumb.jpg

post-1220-0-88218500-1460569567_thumb.jpg

Fair Winds-

JP

Thanks all-

I did run into a question this evening-  I got the hardware kit from B and B, and am finalizing the rigging on the rudder.  The downhaul makes perfect sense with the line going from the clam cleat through the brass ferrule in the top of the rudder to the knot in the hole in the rudder blade.  Included with the kit was an extra bullseye and a piece of line labeled rudder uphaul, but I can't figure out how the uphaul would be rigged and I don't see it on the plans.  Am I missing something really easy?  Thanks!

JP6210, here is how mine is rigged. it is like Peter's. There is a jam cleat on the port side of the tiller for it. Note that you should mount the uphaul as high on the rudder blade as you can so it won't be below the waterline when lowered. I attached mine to an eye strap that was re-bent into a "U" shape to fit around the rudder blade.

post-1823-0-61121500-1460641390_thumb.jpg

A spring could be used for the uphaul (stainless). Additionally, if the blade is weighted, the downhaul isn't necessary. On a rudder I made not very long ago, I used a length of bronze rod stock. It was bent to fit in an eye on the aft side of the blade, above the LWL and was fed through a couple of custom made fairleads. The upper fairlead was shaped to accept a flattened section of the rod only and this was a "keyhole" sort of thing. With the blade up, it could be locked for over the road transport. When the blade was down, it could also be locked, but if a bottom strike occurs, it would bounce out of it's keyhole slot and float up. A very similar setup was also used on the centerboard, but with multiple locations to lock the rod, to vary board depth.

I'll have a "hook" on a length of wire attached to the rudder head to hold the rudder blade up for transport. It will hook into the afore mentioned modified eye strap. I like an adjustable uphaul for sailing over the shallow sounds along the coast where the blade can't be all of the way down. I don't like weighted blades for that reason.

Thank you for bringing back the original.  Remember, Graham did win the EC with this boat also.

I have had a lot of fun reading the post of the Mark3. Many great ideas have come up and I'm glad that I haven't finished yet. I wasn't planing to put a motor on but there it is. Oh and a boarding ladder as well.

I was definitely not going to have my anchor mounted on the bow but now it seems like a great idea.

And a cooler, seemed like it should have one just like Carlita. Thanks to everyone I'm still not finished.

But I have my oars on board and my flip flops and swear that Sandy Dancer will get wet in June.

jeffpost-2651-0-65302800-1460679109_thumb.jpgpost-2651-0-37895800-1460679143_thumb.jpg

Thanks all for the ideas on the uphaul-  lots of great potential future upgrades-  I think I will add the wire with a hook for now.  2nd coat of primer went on last night-  couple of more to go, a little sanding and filling and hopefully spraying paint this weekend.

JP

It's been long enough that my old brain is starting to forget, but I don't think Southbound had an uphaul, just a downhaul. I'm pretty sure the rudder would just float right up when the downhaul was released (as long as there was no sideways force acting on it).

I would personally prefer a downhaul to a weighted rudder because I would hate to have the rudder accidently kick up when blasting downwind.

• 2 months later...

Well- in spite of the title, we haven't been too MK3 centric lately, but a "classic" update anyway-  Shooting for putting the boat in the water for the first time this coming weekend- still need to put the front hatch hardware on, the aft hatch and the hold downs for the seat hatches.  And my wife, the artistic one in the family, is going to paint the name.  I am pretty happy with how everything is turning out.  There are some little touchups and things to do, but that will be this winter after a sailing season- or at least part of a sailing season.  I'll update with launch pictures, but a heartfelt thanks goes out to all on this board for the support and encouragement!

JP

post-1220-0-72970700-1468330606_thumb.jpg

Oh, pleasepleaseplease tell me you plan to tow it with that Westy! Gad, my wife and I, and later the first two kids, must have driven 6,417 miles with a 20 foot guide canoe I built on the roof of a beetle. Then we "upgraded" to a 68 Westy to tow with.

Whatever you tow with, enjoy that boat. Quite a pile of work you should be proud of.

It looks just perfect from the aft quarter, like that.

Peace,

Robert

Oh, pleasepleaseplease tell me you plan to tow it with that Westy! Gad, my wife and I, and later the first two kids, must have driven 6,417 miles with a 20 foot guide canoe I built on the roof of a beetle. Then we "upgraded" to a 68 Westy to tow with.

Whatever you tow with, enjoy that boat. Quite a pile of work you should be proud of.

It looks just perfect from the aft quarter, like that.

Peace,

Robert

Well funny that you should mention that...  the Westy is in the process of getting new heads....and a trailer hitch.  Definitely planning on towing the new boat with it.  And thanks for the compliments-

JP,

Ooh, color me a little jealous! Man, that van, and that boat are a recipe for some great times. Change the oil every 1,500 (it works HARD!) and keep a steady eye on those head nuts, check torque every oil change. Oh, and slow down. Mindset vehicles. Ha ha.

Oh, good times, indeed! I hope you have the little sleeping hammock/loft. :)

As for the compliments, they were all related to the beautiful thing you made, that cool boat. You earned them, and you are welcome.

Peace,

Robert