An other OC20 build !!

Lotus

Thanks Riggs.

Today another test run !. Think we matched the perfect prop for this boat . 3 x 16 x 21.5"

Cruising speed  of 23Kn  (26miles) at 3650 rpm and burns 17 liters of fuel per hour 

Top speed (WOT) 45Kn (51.8 miles) at 6150 rpm 

A total trip of 36Kn (41miles) in 2 hours burned 28 liters of fuel .

Think that these motors and this boat are super efficient !

Now the boat rides very stable at all speeds. Very happy and satisfied with all the results and thanks again to Graham !

20200217_114635.jpg

20200217_110908.jpg

Just for clarification, a knot = a nautical mile per hour, it is not also a measure of distance. When you say a total trip of 36kts. I think you mean 36 nautical miles?

statute mile = 5280 feet    nautical mile = 6023 feet and some fraction that we can ignore

I find it interesting that in spite of most of the world switching to the metric system sailors every where still use the knot and nautical mile.  It used to matter a lot because of celestial navigation.  1 nautical mile = 1 minute of latitude. With the advent of GPS it no longer has any real need, but it is still fun that many still use it anyway, and kind of binds us together. I sailed with an Italian friend in the Adriatic for 3 weeks on his boat.  His speed gauge and wind gauge measured in knots, and his depth gauge measured in meters.

2 hours ago, Hirilonde said:

Just for clarification, a knot = a nautical mile per hour, it is not also a measure of distance. When you say a total trip of 36kts. I think you mean 36 nautical miles?

statute mile = 5280 feet    nautical mile = 6023 feet and some fraction that we can ignore

I find it interesting that in spite of most of the world switching to the metric system sailors every where still use the knot and nautical mile.  It used to matter a lot because of celestial navigation.  1 nautical mile = 1 minute of latitude. With the advent of GPS it no longer has any real need, but it is still fun that many still use it anyway, and kind of binds us together. I sailed with an Italian friend in the Adriatic for 3 weeks on his boat.  His speed gauge and wind gauge measured in knots, and his depth gauge measured in meters.

Totally agree with you, and yes I meant 36 nautical miles .

I don't know what measurements use in the rest of the word but in Europe we us Knots for speed on water and meters for depth  and that's the way most of us sett their instruments   

• Like 2

I think it still matters a lot because the earth is divided into (360deg x 60min ) nautical miles and that hasnt changed. I use knots and Nm on my gps always. If talking the average powerboater it seems many prefer mph just because thats what they relate to on land.  I dont see many charts divided up into mi or km though.

Also, I guess I knew this but a Nautical mile is 1,852 meters exactly so we're really splitting hairs I guess. And of course the original meter was..."the new measure should be equal to one ten-millionth of the distance from the North Pole to the Equator (the quadrant of the Earth's circumference), measured along the meridian passing through Paris."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_metre#Meridional_definition

Also a nice site here. 

https://www.marineinsight.com/guidelines/nautical-mile-knot-units-used-sea/

16 hours ago, Alan Stewart said:

I think it still matters a lot because the earth is divided into (360deg x 60min ) nautical miles and that hasnt changed.

For those of us who visualize and do the math it will always matter.  My comment about not being necessary is more a reflection of the fact that there are so many who simply turn on their GPS plotter and look for the wedge shape thingy that shows where they are. As someone who managed a small boat marina of mostly fisherman I can say with confidence that is all most of them were capable of doing.  In hindsight maybe I could have worded my comment better.  Great link at the end.

there are so many who simply turn on their GPS plotter and look for the wedge shape thingy that shows where they are

Indeed! GPS has spoiled us all and I for one am fine with that. Very thankful for that little arrow! If i had to use a sextant then i'd have to put down my drink all the time! Eww 

But seriously, situational awareness has no doubt suffered as a result.

• 2 months later...

Some more updates !

Decided to uninstall and remove completely the Bennett auto trim tabs setup and moved to zipwake interceptors.

These new fully automatic interceptors are very fast acting and I am 100% satisfied with their performance , although the main reason for switching was that the trim plate itself made it very difficult to maneuver the boat in reverse gear . Some times but not often they also interfere with the fishing line , risking to loose the catch !  

20200419_172905.jpg

20200419_172928.jpg

20200213_113054.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am sure that the new Marissa will have a happy owner. Thanks for all or your posts, you do not realize how important it is get good feedback so that we can continue to create, especially someone with your level of craftmanship and to see you add your own interpretation to our designs.

On 5/10/2020 at 4:30 PM, Designer said:

Thanks for all or your posts, you do not realize how important it is get good feedback so that we can continue to create, especially someone with your level of craftmanship and to see you add your own interpretation to our designs.

Thanks a lot Graham, really  appreciate your comments.

This was all possible thanks to your hull designs and your technical help and support . 

Would also like to take the opportunity to thank all members in this forum that showed their interest in this build !

Thanks every one and happy building ??

• 1 year later...
On 4/6/2016 at 10:01 PM, Lotus said:

Lets get started !

Under the supervision of Marissa !!  ( Piranha )   ;)

post-4121-0-03786800-1459954737_thumb.jpg

post-4121-0-26882300-1459954740_thumb.jpg

On 4/20/2016 at 4:29 PM, Lotus said:

Transom  keel and bottom stringers all shaped, notched and glued in. Transom area will be customized, somehow like my previous boat build Piranha that is also very similar to NZ LANCE OC20 build. Lance gave his boat a fantastic look. I rely like her lines .

Next week hope to glue in the chine batten and some side stringers.

post-4121-0-60724300-1461144258_thumb.jpg

post-4121-0-04837800-1461144273_thumb.jpg

post-4121-0-55627700-1461144288_thumb.jpg

where I can buy these frmae