An other OC20 build !!

Lotus

I'm a huge fan of cardboard mock ups.  Not a power boat person but my past few years managing a marina of small powerboats has given me an appreciation of how well and poorly they can be conceptualized.  But then, anyone who builds their own boat realizes they don't have to be stuck with the nearsightedness of others.

I too use cardboard for template making and have a big box source for it that's cheap and the right type of cardboard.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3L-Jps7vx10iDLdUTU

This stuff is available at Lowe's/Depot, though I can get it through the ULine catalog. It's cheap and easy to cut. This is "chipboard" and the material you'd find as a reinforcement on a on the back of a notepad. Because it's "sheet goods" it acts just like plywood if bent around molds and/or over stringers. 

• Like 1

Is there anyone good enough in geometry out there ??:rolleyes:  I am trying to figure out a  stern folding bench that when closed down the upholstery will be facing backwards ( inside its compartment ) .

I would like to have a seating height of 18" and 16" flat ( seat ) . The compartment where this closed seat will fit in is just 20" in height by 7.5" in depth . I am close to the seating height and width measurements but not yet satisfied !!  

The screw at the end point represents the cushion (foam) thickness  

20170410_123812.jpg

20170410_123825.jpg

20170410_123834.jpg

20170410_123844.jpg

20170410_123852.jpg

20170410_123900.jpg

What a clever idea!  It looks like you have most of the geometry already figured out.  

Have you thought about how you would keep the seat from folding up when someone is sitting on it?

I think you would have to make the mechanisms really strong.  The distance between the two pivots on the left appears to be about 1/10 of the length of the long bar.  Just guessing.  If someone sits on the front edge of the seat, then all of the parts have to be strong enough to support 10 times the weight.  Would you tolerate fold-down legs of some sort?     Here's an idea.  The triple lines are hinges that allow the red triangle to fold up and down and the small rectangle is a block to brace the back of the strut.  It's not as elegant as your design, but it won't fold up unexpectedly and it may be easier to build strong.

58ec40cfa9b54_Seatbrace.png.bac4e8fcc8c955fdd1c5775baecf5d8e.png

Meester I realy appreciate your input . As you sad it must have to be build very strong to support all that weight leverage , that's why I'm not so satisfied with this geometry ! 

I used the system you mentioned ( or very similar ) on my other boat but I don't like the fact that I have to move 3 parts to open or close the seat !

BTW, at stern there's gonna be 3 x 2' seats instead 1 of 6' , therefore there will  be a pair of " hinges " per person ( or so )

I saw (google) a very similar system used in " Whaler boats " that uses pivots instead of sliding mechanism . I think it's easier and stronger to built but the problem is to have the exact measurements  of this mechanism !! Tried to figure it out but no success :(

boston_whaler_285conquest_transombench_15.jpg

2 hours ago, Ken_Potts said:

Lotus - If you give me the dimensions shown here as X and Y I'll see what I can come up with for a Boston Whaler style linkage.

seat linkage.jpg

That's so nice Ken 

x is about 18" and y 3" . I prefer a seating height of  17-18" if possible