Laminated Beam for Shad?

Sugarbaker

I purchased plans to build a Shad sometime ago... and before I was able to start lashing up my frame, my wife and I moved to another state.  I still have the plans and frame components, and have started setting up my new shop.  As I prepare to continue work on this kayak, I see that a nice laminate beam option has been photographed and described on the Kudzucraft website.  

I'm wondering if there are instructions or plans that I could incorporate into my boat, but wasn't able to find anything specific seeing as I purchased the plans a year or so ago.  Has anyone made this change to an existing boat?  I am quite capable in regards to wood working, and believe I could likely concoct a solution just based on photographs, but thought I'd give a shout out to the community and Jeff to see if there is a simpler solution that could save me some frustration.  Thanks!

Stephen

It is next on the list to be changed. I actually had Shad in mind when I started this project. It would benefit from this because it is low volume.  But it has not been done and I have no dates for the changes. When I get to it I probably going to make some other changes to the design too.

There are no 'instructions' on how to do this because it has to be designed specific for the boat so everything lines up. The boats that have been done have all new deck lines, not just a single frame replaced with a laminated beam but multiples frames were changed.  I am sure there are people with the skills to do this as they build, but I do not support modifications to the plans. Once you change it is not long my design and you are own your own.

Thanks for your input Jeff.  I didn't realize there were modifications to the other frame pieces to modify the deck lines.  I may hold out for a while and purchase a new set of plans... realistically my new house may have a problem storing a 17 foot plus boat anyway.  I do like the looks of recent Curlew builds and know you've updated that design.  Time will tell!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi Jeff:

I am in the final stages of lashing my Short Shot frame together, working from plans I purchased about a year ago. Thank you for promptly filling my latest order for the skin! Before I finish and start skinning the boat I wanted to ask about the laminated beam that has been discussed here and was wondering if you have done that redesign for Short Shot and if so, would I need to purchase a new full set of plans to change my current boat. I would like the extra knee room and could make a change now if it is possible.

Thanks,

Dan Faurot-Daniels

• 1 month later...

Have not been on the forum for a while and was following the possible development of the laminated beam for the shad. I build the short shot as my first sof and want to build the Shad next but was waiting on the laminated beam. Wondering why the change not to pursue it?

Thanks