Core Sound 17 Mkiii hull 6: Avocet

Blkskmr

Reef lines: The purpose was to reduce the effort required to reef. This is my mizzen sprit. The reef lines are on one side of the sail.  They attach to the reef point with a ball with a figure eight knot. Also I used a block on sprit to lead lines to the cleats.   Not a big change from original set up.  It is better not perfect, at least for me.  

DSCF0368.JPG

DSCF0371.JPG

DSCF0372.JPG

DSCF0374.JPG

It's usual to have the mini block hanging aft, off the leach, usually by a loop or gasket of line, then to dangle down one side. I'd imaging this will work as well, if a little more wear and tear. The trick to this setup is the location of the turning block and eye strap on the boom. I like them a little aft of their location on the sail so they pull aft a bit, when hauled down.

3 hours ago, PAR said:

I like them a little aft of their location on the sail so they pull aft a bit, when hauled down.

With the sprits, the snotter should force the new foot of the sail tight more or less regardless of where the block on the sprit is located in relation to the cringle, as long as your snotter is adjustable and tightened when you reef.

Thank you for the comments. Yes the idea was to reduce friction. Since the sails stays on one side of the sprit it is possible to have the reef lines on one side and not through the grommet.  I attached my reef blocks on the sprit in according to B&B drawings.    I co-opted this set up from my 

Wayfarer.    We use similar kind of set up on the boom when we use it with reef-able  main.  I think it is an improvement, but there are always better ideas. 

• 3 weeks later...

Good question. I plan to cut a form from OSB .  I will lay out the curve.  At intervals I will use a hole saw and cut hole just below the outline of the curve.  I will laminate the beams. I will use the holes so I cam clamp the layers to the curve. There will be three layers of white wood from Lowes with layers of glass in between and on the outside.  That will be the hard part. I will then cut front head and the tail.   Epoxy and glass them together.  I have never done this before so all of this is an experiment. Let's hope for the best.

Reefing and Snakes

We went for a short weekend cruise to Swan island.  The track is below. 

Very pleasant with a single surprise.  We were getting ready to go on Sunday morning. Michele was raising the mizzen when I noticed a 3 foot snake tangled in the reef we had left in the sail.  He was kind of stuck and not happy.  We were anchored so no place to go.  I got the paddle and  helped him out .  He grabbed the handle.  I got him off the handle, then to the back of the boat.  After attacking paddle a couple of times. He left. 

He did not look poisonous.    Still, a 17 foot boat seems small with a snake on board. 

Anyone else have a similar experience?  Any thoughts on prevention?  Also I had spent the night in the cockpit so he could have just as well curled up with me.         

DSCF0423.JPG

DSCF0411.JPG

DSCF0430.JPG

DSCF0431.JPG

• 3 months later...

In order to add some ventilation to the CS17Mk!!! I stole an idea from Alan.   I put in two 6"  threaded clean outs.  I also made a screen to fit on the outside.    It was a simple install.  It adds light and it does allow air to move.   I do not keep my anchor forward so it works for me.  I also plan to make a small scoop to push air in.  I wish I could add more photos but it seems to be limiting me. 

Regards 

DSCF0568.JPG

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Continuing development : Addition of bridle for mizzen mid-sprit sheeting:  Tom Lathrop' s idea 

A friend pointed out that in the effort to center the mizzen, I was bending the mast and putting a lot of leach tension on the sail, which effectively de-powers the sail.  That is good when it is really windy not so good in light air.  I came up with some very complicated solutions, contacted   Alan and he suggested this as a first step.   It is simple, and works well.  This photo is only part of the story.   I am willing to  go into further detail if anyone is curious. 

The result is as follows.   We participated in a New Year Day Regatta, with about 30 to 40 boats all in the  30' to 40' ranges.  Winds were 9 ish to maybe 12 with some 15 later in the day.  So very pleasant. I had two astute sailors on board and both agreed we were able to point with the big boats.    We could not drive with them, which is no surprise.   Average speed for the race was 3.9 knots, with two legs upwind, so pretty good for a small boat.  The improvement was probably more in feel than in real performance.  The impression was that we were pointing higher and there was more drive.  That is what we wanted to achieve.   

It cost me  two blocks from B&B and I was able to move hardware on the boat to make it work.  In other words marginal additional expense.  It does complicate rigging a little but I think the performance is worth the extra 3 minutes fiddling with lines. 

Regards 

DSCF0593.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thank you both.  The purpose of the bridle was to reduce the downward pull on the mizzen sprit when trying to center the sail going to windward. I was bending the mast and depowering the top of the sail. I felt like the boat was losing drive.  Alan suggested the bridle.  It does help. I can better center the sail without as much downward pressure. I think it feels better but have no way to provide solid data.  The next iteration will be to make it adjustable. 

In terms of tangling on the motor, it is about the same as the standard set up.  I tend not to tack a lot so,  it is not a big worry.   Funny you should pick up on that, it seems like small detail.  But a good question.  Once again, thank you.  Also the picture was taken on January 1, thus my wife wearing all her gear.  

• 1 year later...