Panda FREE Antivirus for Personal Use (affiliate link)
Blkskmr

Core Sound 17 Mkiii hull 6: Avocet

Funny hats are always preferable to skin cancer! You are making great headway there, thanks for the clip.

On 4/3/2017 at 10:18 PM, Blkskmr said:

I agree and thus the hat... Nothing like having a doctor go at you like you are a brazilian roast. 

I've done the skin cancer thing. Melanoma in my case. Went internal. No fun at all!!! Plenty of sun screen and coverage with hat and maybe long sleeves.

Chick.. that is scarry.  There really should be Skin Cancer  Regattas   like the Leukemia Cup etc...     I know more sailors who have had skin issues.   The problem is most of the damage was done decades ago.  We need to make sure the kids  coming up take care. 

Mine came from growing up in St. Pete., Fla. As kids, we'd head off to the beach on the first warm spring day and get a good sunburn, then hide at home 'til it peeled. Then we'd do it all over again. By now, we had enough tan to last through summer. Every summer day in a boat or at the beach. No Sun tan lotion. Sunlight is healthy. Tan looks good. No time to smear messy goo on.

Then, 40 years later, a soccer ball size melanoma tumor! Major surgery, but God encapsulated the tumor so it didn't spread. Docs said "a miracle". Wanted me to go to Duke University to find out why I'm still alive. God had things left for me to do for Him. 

• Like 2

The  following are some useful changes.  We traded out the standard cam-cleats for the RF 58 swivel blocks.  Used 3/4" plywood, 3" round to make bases. It is a very good improvement.   I was looking for a place to place  to mount compass. I had several ideas.  My wife suggest the present placement. It is very good.  Does not get in way.  I dropped sprit on it.  Seems robust.  It is easy to see which is very nice.   A couple more changes coming. 

DSCF0170.JPG

DSCF0171.JPG

DSCF0172.JPG

I love my RF58's!  I use them for my main.  I use side clamcleats (per Graham) for my small mizzen.  Your boat looks lovely.  I see that you've move your tactical compass over from the dinghy to to cruising boat.  Nice touch.

Don,   Nice to hear from you.   The RF 58 are the answer no doubt.  The placement of the compass looks odd but it is actually perfect for visibility.  And the numbers are big enough that I can actually read them.   I hate to admit but I could never get working with a regular round compass right.  So digital is better for me.  I have attached two photos below.  We had to do an on the water reef and my wife, aka long suffering crew, had a hard time trying to reach and tension the pendant lines on the sprit.  She came up with the idea of the turning block to pull  the line through the cleat.   Also we moved the cleats back on the sprit to make reaching them easier.  This I think is an improvement and will make reefing easier and will take less strength. 

DSCF0185.JPG

DSCF0186.JPG

Great Stuff. I like the look of the both of these setups. I have a question on the main sheet. Do you feel that much mechanical advantage is required? I have dinghy sailed with similar sized sail plans and didn't have 3:1 (is that what I'm seeing?) mechanical advantage and was able to handle the lines just fine. It seems that adding all this advantage adds a lot of sheet length and sheet friction and if reefed at the right time wouldn't be necessary. What are your thoughts?

My apologies for the absence.. 

Steve W:  The pressure on the main sheet is very light.  I have sailed with winds into the 20's and have had no struggle with bringing in either sail .  I have had trouble getting line wrapped around stuff, like my foot. I think it is worthwhile experimenting with a fewer blocks and  a shorter sheet.  Perhaps that will be my next experiment.   

DocPal, the compass is  the lowest spec TACTIC  available from Raymarine.  I have one on my dinghy and like it. I can read the big numbers.  I found a vendor out of Europe and they shipped it to me by USPS for $6.00. It saved about $100. However there is a company here in the US called Nautalytics that makes something similar for the same price that I bought this unit out of Europe.  The advantage they have is that you can read the screen with polarized lenses.  They were sold out at the time, but I would check on that. 

Best Regards 

If you've got an LCD screen you can't read with polarized sunglasses, just tilt your head to the left or right and you'll be able to read it.

Blkskmr,

Thanks for the compass info, it looks like a great addition...

I while back I posted some photos of changes I made to the sprits for  reefing.  It did not work well and did not solve the problem.   Note:  Please do not copy that idea.  It did not work.  We will play around with some other ideas.   But want to be sure no one tried to follow me down and dark path. 

Best Regards 

• Like 1