Official Watertribe EC/UFC 2016 event discussion.

Alan Stewart

MisterMoon

Do you have Anderson Bailers?

Yes and it doesn't work below about 6.5 knots. Self bailing is the way to go! I'll install an electric bilge pump before the next EC. 

Graham's boat is really nice. I'm sure he'll have a report of some of his thoughts when he gets home. Right now he's still sleeping in the boat on the beach in KL. 

John,

Something is amiss with your Andersen bailer in some way.  I have used them on every dinghy from a Spindrift 10 to 18 footers for 50 years and they always work unless I have done something wrong.  They work going upwind in the Spindrift 10 when wind was high enough to need bailing so the speed could not be all that high.  On CS boats, I put them on the other side of the keelson from the CB.  On the Spindrift 10 it was behind the DB but it worked anyway.

Tom

Graham expressed the same thoughts to me at KL on Saturday. I'm going to pull my bailer and see if I can tune it up somehow. Mine is mounted correctly. 

• Like 1

With her stealth paint and bowsprit, Carlita looks pretty menacing. That is a great shot of the boat and its layout, and a fantastic endorsement. That is one seriously happy looking sailor, eh? And notice how he's wrestling to control her? :)

And, Mister Moon, I think Bandaloop is very pretty. I really like the paint scheme. Looks like you two had a blast as well.

Congratulations on your respective successful campaigns.

And now he is hammering the portage. He started about 6 hrs ago and he's less than four miles from the Suwannee. -Which is apparently running high and showing significant rapids in places.

The Suwannee is actually running relatively low.  The gauge at White Springs (closest to Big Shoals) is showing only ~700cfs compared to historical median flow ~1900cfs and Gauge Height ~53.6'.   Further down at Branford it's not quite as low.  ~7000cfs compared to historical median of ~10000cfs.  But both numbers are higher than in, say, June.

According to a local outfitter (Suwannee Canoe Outpost) . . .

52-56 feet: "Low-medium" to "medium" river conditions.  Ideal for camping on beaches.  Slow to medium current in most areas. Nice balance between camping, current, and scenery. All trips open, from the Swamp to the Gulf. Big Shoals probably too low to run at this level. (We recommend portaging Big Shoals anyway.)

Posted by CrazyRussian about 8 hours ago:

Being old watertriber fan, I root for one container fits all uses solutions. My inflatable catamaran was the one. Alan's (SOS) new trimaran is the one.
It is hard to root for your direct competitor. :) but I'm happy. Alan finally passed us while we were setting this huge Nacra racing machine for the final leg. Go, Alan, go. The race is on.

I had wondered if it was legal to change boats a second time. I guess it is. As of 1039 SOS was less than 3 miles from the Cedar Key checkpoint with LRock and CrazyRussian less than 4 miles behind.

Seuss, thanks. Yours is the latest in a life-long series of hints which should teach me not to pass on hearsay. It may work one of these days, but i'm becoming increasingly skeptical...

According to a local outfitter (Suwannee Canoe Outpost) . . .

52-56 feet: "Low-medium" to "medium" river conditions.  Ideal for camping on beaches.  Slow to medium current in most areas. Nice balance between camping, current, and scenery. All trips open, from the Swamp to the Gulf. Big Shoals probably too low to run at this level. (We recommend portaging Big Shoals anyway.)

Pete

LRock and CrazyRussian finished at 0653 this morning, for an all time best time of 17 days 23 hours and 53 minutes. 

Alan SOS got a few hours sleep at Anclote last night and is currently around 30 miles from finishing. He's making good progress and should finish mid-afternoon, beating the all time solo record by nearly 24 hours. Congratulations to both LR/CR and also to Alan. 

• Like 1

Alan has finished the UF ! What a great way to test out a new design...Both Alan and Graham have sure turned this year's event into  a showcase for their design and sailing expertise...Congratulations !

2chxdlz.jpg

SOS at the Finish Line.  edit: PaddleDancer photo

Designed the boat. Built the boat. Paddled, sailed, navigated and biked the boat. Around the state of Florida. Solo! New class record! Fastest solo time, ever. An Ultimate Champion.

+1 on the previous 4 posts.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Why isn't Alan's finish showing up in any publications?  If the EC is a qualifier for the UFC, then why isn't his name and time listed as a finisher?  (http://www.watertribe.com/Events/ChallengeResults.aspx?RaceID=EC2014)  The same is true for the Small Craft Advisor's article on the EC.  What's going on?