Mocasin 2 Square Stern for Trolling Motor?

ricknriver

As we age, would like a very light, stable, tandem electric canoe (<50#) with wine glass square stern to mount a trolling motor, carry a deep cycle battery or two midships, and 400# load.  Hoping a 40-50# thrust 12v trolling motor will push her 4-5 mph to quietly explore wildlife on sheltered rivers, streams, and lakes. Think the 47#Moc 2 can be modified to meet the need?  Have a canoe side mount for a trolling mtr that I could use, but hoping a stern mount will have less chance to hangup weaving through narrow obstructed waterways. May I should just create a extended motor mount plate on the normal stern of the Moc II?  Thanks, Rick 

What about reconsidering Turtler?

As I age I think I'll be less likely to want to carry a boat (or deep-cycle batteries).  If that's the case then a trailer boat may be the way to go for a powerboat.

And you can use a more powerful motor (or a motor with a more appropriately-pitched prop) than a trolling motor if you've got enough energy density in the batteries.  Some of the new battery technologies can withstand a much greater amount of discharge than deep-cycle batteries so you won't be as limited in your choice of motors.  On my current project I'm planning to install a brushless dc motor as an inboard.  And even on a smaller boat an inboard BLDC motor might be a good way to go if you don't want to pay for the pricey torqueedo.  The inboard also might free up your prop choices a bit.  Is it possible to get a prop for a trolling motor that is pitched for pushing a light boat at a good clip instead of pushing a heavy boat at one or two knots?

I can't say for sure but I imagine Graham and Alan may be immersed in preparation for an upcoming event in Florida. :)  Maybe one of them will come up for air and see this thread, though.

Good thoughts.  Only challenge I see with a broader, deeper stern is efficiency in reverse exiting long narrow dead end sloughs (too narrow to turn around).  That's why I thought the wine glass stern - keeping the canoe stern at the waterline with motor mount above - kind of wherry-like, and shifting my weight forward?  I'm sure Graham and Alan are busy with the EC.  No hurry.  Tks, Rick

Thanks Alan. Seems like some interest. I like Turtler for a trailer boat, but she's (actually, he) is just too heavy to cartop. If you guys come up with something, count me in on building one. meanwhile, if anyone wants a "Turtler", I'm sure you still have the cut files for the hull panels, and it wouldn't take much to complete them for the seat parts.