Noob Alert: 7/8" cedar vs 5/8"

DreadBiscuit

First time poster; Long time follower.  

I'm finally getting ready to build my ShortShot.  I have found 1 x 6 WRC that I can rip down for stringers.  It is actually 7/8" thick, of course.  I known the plans call for 5/8" but I do not have access to a planer.

Is it alright to keep 7/8" thickness on all stringers and just have the stringers stick out farther from the frames (still cut notches in the frames at 5/8" deep to keep from compromising frame integrity) or should I cut notches 1/4" deeper to accommodate the thicker stringers?  

Don't notch your frames deeper!

Being as I am THAT guy, it really wouldn't be all that much to plane them by hand, either. I mean, +/- 1/4" of cedar? Easy peasy, even if you only have a block plane.

Because I really don't like to flip those switches can I help it. :)

Another option is to find a local cabinet guy, or furniture maker. Yes, Virginia, they exist all over. It'll be some guy who will more than likely be tickled about your neat little boat project, mostly because it isn't a box, and will plane your little sticks (or whole boards) for a small fee.

Same guy probably has bb ply for sale...

Good luck. Have fun.

• Like 1

Thanks guys!  I have an extensive carpentry and (somewhat-basic) woodworking background (framing a wall doesn't have to be super accurate...my experience has been those where + or - 1/4 " isn't that big of a deal) and the idea of running them through the table saw at 5/8" occurred to me after the post, thanks Jeff.  

I definitely did not plan on notching the frames deeper unless someone (Jeff) told me explicitly it's ok.  As an engineer, I know all bout structural integrity and dispersing loads.  I was mostly concerned about the added weight. 

I have zero experience using hand planes, however.  I think I'll try to table saw first, then if i have trouble I may ask for resources for planing methods or tools.  But I think the table saw will be fine.  

I really appreciate everyone's input and prompt responses.  Hopefully in the next few weeks I will have some photos up with a new build thread.  Still in graduate school, so it will be slow going while I work around my schedule.  

Just curious, What is the reason you say to go with 5/8" instead of 7/8"?  Is it just weight savings or is there some other underlying factor(s)?  Was talking to a friend and he said just leave it 7/8 and it will stick out a bit farther.  Any issues with this?  I'm not a boat guy by any means, so i'm not sure of the implications.  I just enjoy kayaking and building things.    

The bending stiffness of a square beam is proportional to the cube of the thickness, so a 7/8" stringer is almost 3 times (actually 2.74 times) as stiff as a 5/8" stringer.  That is the theoretical answer - whether from a practical standpoint that additional stiffness will make it hard to bend the stringer to the shape of the boat, I don't really know. I would go with the designers specification.