New to SOF - Questions about boat size and cockpit length.

Dutchman

I had been looking at building a stitch & glue until I came across the Kudzu SOF website and am quite interested in building a SOF kayak. I am 6'-3", 220 lbs and 66 years old. The Curlew looks interesting but not sure it will fit me and my size 13 feet. I also would like to be able to pull my legs out while seated and wondered if the cockpit can be lengthened to about 42". (I had a chance to sit in a Pygmy Pinguino 145 with a 36" cockpit and could not get my legs out.) Thanks for any input.

Having stalled out a couple times on my S&G CLC Wood Duck Double, the SOF build style is way more fun and faster. That said, if you have to go S&G, check out the roomier Wood Duck series. I'm about* to finish up my FreeB which has a very roomy cockpit, even for me at 6'5". You might take a look at the Mess About series as well if ease of entry is of primary concern.

Cockpit length is only half of the equation. The height at under the coaming is a big factor. I am working on redesigning the boats to use a laminated frame this gives more space.  I am trying for 11.5 to 12 inches clearance as I redesign the existing boats.

Now to your question, no, you can not alter the boat to add a longer cockpit.  Plus I doubt size 13 feet will fit a Curlew comfortably. You will would need to look at another boat. The gunwales on the Curlew are pretty low and there isn't much 'toe' room. If I had that boat to do over I would raise the sheet line a little bit.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I should be considering the Messabouts to accommodate easier entry and exit. What is the width and approximate weight of the 12' version? I was also wondering if Kudzu might be displaying at the Michigan Quiet Water Symposium or the Canoecopia event in Madison, WI next month? It would be nice to see the kayaks in person.

I really don't remember the width on that boat and i don't have it in front of me either.

As for which boat, it's really hard to say.  Shad is pretty small but other than that any of them have a high weight capacity and reasonably roomy inside. Vardo is the highest volume.  But so much depends on the personal preferences it is really hard to say.