Stringer kits (#2)

Kudzu

Since the last thread went off topic, I am starting a new one.  Just got prices for cedar and was able to work up some rough prices for stringer kits. A lot of you on here are not potential clients since I know you make your own. But, if you were not or are not able to make your own stringers give me input on these prices. 

• VARDO and Ravenswood would be approx. $220 plus shipping.  Shipping should be no more than $30 Continental US.
  • Short Shot  with the extra stringers would run approx. $300 plus shipping.  Shipping should be no more than $30 Continental US.$300 plus shipping.  I will say no more than $30 in shipping probably.

These are  approximately 7.5 foot EFFECTIVE length with the scarfs on the end. You would have to glue the joints together and cut the to length.  Included would be a list of the finished lengths with how many strips you would need to glue together to make a particular stringer along with the size.

Sometimes you are going to have glue 2 1/2 stringers together.  So you will have to cut a stringer in half.

Bow and deck beams will not need scarfs so those will need to be cut off.

Point being they are not a pre-cut kit and will need some trimming.

Those prices definitely seem fair to me. And a stringer kit to add to the frame kit will likely be a popular option. 

Sure - many of us can cut our own. But finding decent lumber, ripping strips, and cutting scarfs does not come without time, effort, and money. And, I know it can be done, but I would not want to rip the stringers without a table saw. I think many folks would try their hand at boatbuilding if they could buy the components complete and not worry about having all the power tools that make it easier. 

And your shipping costs seem very modest. I have paid $6 in shipping costs just to get a router bit mailed to me.  :o

• 1 month later...

What about selling stringer stock by the foot and filling orders with a couple of lengths that make practical use of stock?  You might want a minimum order, like enough for a 12 footer.  You would have to be careful that your count takes into consideration the lost length due to each scarf.  A little more head scratching than kits of one length.  This would require some more thinking through, but a thought.

To ship by the Post Office I need 8 foot length (Max) to keep within their limits. I was trying to buy either 8 or 16 foot lengths. It works pretty out pretty good for most of the boats too. Plus my labor is kept to a minimum. Mill, put in bin.  Get an order pull 4 of these, 12 of those, 6 of those, bundle and ship. I could make a list of what is needed for each stringer and cutting is minmal and I can tell them what lengths to cut too.

Some of you would have no problem but one of the biggest advantage is that people with little mechanical skills can build these boats. I have taught some in my classes that were not handy at all!  Trying to work out stringers lengths from a random pile of boards is going to tough for a lot of people.

If I have random lengths mean a lot more work to make sure that I have enough stock and it gets harder for customers to glue up and make sure they have right lengths for each stringer.

• 3 months later...

Do you see folks having more difficulty in cutting the scarf joint or glueing them straight?

Either one done wrong can compromise the boat.

Cutting the scarf requires skill in building a jig for a table saw...and having access to table saw.

Or being good with a jack plane, and having a good bench to work on.

Or a belt sander and a good bench.

The table saw requirement knocks out a lot of customers already so I'd think having pre scarfed pieces would be more appealing.

Glueing straight is simplified with a length of angle aluminum to keep things aligned and a handful of clamps.

If one could get pre-scarfed pieces that only needed cut to length after gluing, they could build your kayaks in their 200 sqft New York apartment with a few simple hand tools.

Just a few thoughts.