Fly Fisher #54

Don Silsbe

This is probably the most outrageous thing I've done in a long time.  I started building my new canoe this week.  What is outrageous about it is that I'm not finished building my Bay River Skiff!  But there was talk about going to Florida for a week, and I just couldn't see being there without a canoe, so...  

post-3770-0-22109400-1453597232_thumb.jpg

post-3770-0-72964500-1453597243_thumb.jpg

post-3770-0-52604600-1453597276_thumb.jpg

Way-to-go Don! Florida is a GREAT place for a canoe. Especially the crystal clear springs and rivers in the northern part of the state, and the mangrove swamps around Tampa Bay, the Glades, the upper Gulf Coast where you can walk out for 5 miles before getting over your head, and....

So, where will you be staying?

Oh, a warning---watch out for the jet ski types, they hold controlling interest in all of those places!

Sometimes I hear voices.  I'm OK with it, and I'm harmless.  Last week, when I was laying out the pieces, a little voice said "measure twice, cut once".  Of course I ignored it.  This is what I got by ignoring that little voice.  I was supposed to take a 3/8" wedge off each sheer.  Instead, I took it off the chine.  Doh!  Remind me to listen to those voices in the future, OK?

post-3770-0-12235600-1453856198_thumb.jpg

While my priority is still the completion of my skiff, I did manage to fix my cutting error.  There is 6 oz. cloth on both sides of the butt joint.

Tomorrow, I'll drive to Asheville to pick up an Ash board (!) for my wales.  I think I'll just use some scraps of walnut for the breasthooks. These are my next steps.

post-3770-0-79259100-1454102437_thumb.jpg

post-3770-0-74910800-1454102451_thumb.jpg

Around here, we have Eastern Red Cedar. I don't think that is what you are looking for. i don't know if it is useful for boat building. I get my wood rough cut from a local saw mill. i use poplar and red oak. They also have white oak, some walnut, and small quantities of other hard woods. Mostly they sell the local varieties of pine that are full of knots. I'll check in on the cedar.

a quick check shows that it is suitable for building but may be hard to get varnish or paint to cure on it, but epoxy should be fine. The resin in it is highly allergenic to some folks. Me for one. I was trimming some branches  and my face started swelling up. I had "blubber lips" when I tried to talk. I was hauled off in an ambulance before I went into anaphylactic shock! 

I think it was a joke, Chick.  The answer he's looking for is "Cedarville", which is in Michigan.  

There is local cedar, here in the NC foothills. It is aromatic cedar, and is quite knotty.  I wanted to build a strip canoe with it-- a design named a "Wee Lassie".  One builder did build this boat with knotty wood.  He named it "Knotty Lassie".  

The wee lassie is a nice boat. I've built two. If I ever wanted to do all that mess again, I'd build another in a heartbeat. I wouldn't use the wood stems again, though. I'd just butt the strips and fillet/glass the inner stem, with an extra wrap or two of glass around the outer stem.

I think building a strip/glass boat with knotty wood would be cool. You could use color and knots to make patterns. Maybe I could hire one of my kids to do all the sanding (andsandingandsandingandsandingandsanding)... :)

If you do gunwales and breast hooks in that walnut, you know you have to paint the canoe yellow, too, right?

Robert,

Local Honey will have enough yellow for my boatyard.  I need another color!  I've been looking at a unique shade of green that Kirby's offers.  They call it Pea Green.  My family has another name for this shade of green, which comes from a story written by Jean Shepherd.  In that story (Ollie Hopnoodle's Haven of Bliss), Jean's father's car is painted this ugly shade of green that his father calls Goat Vomit Green.  So, that's what it'll be called around here.  The color in this photo doesn't quite capture the pukey shade of it.  It is more like split pea soup.  I think it will contrast nicely with the varnished Okoume interior and the Walnut trim.  I wanted something old-fashioned for this build.

Speaking of the Walnut, this is a different batch of hoardwood than I made Local Honey out of.  My family has been carrying this lumber around for over 50 years.  It is truly hoardwood, and it'll be nice to finally put it to use.  This is a slightly more red version than the skiff's trim (Michigan wood vs. North Carolina).  

Does anyone have experience using Kirby's paint?  It is old school enamel, so it should behave well with the roll and tip method.  (I assume.)  I am considering having Jamestown mix a custom batch of Epiphanes Two-part Poly in this shade.  The poly would be more durable, which would be the reason to pay double the price.  But the Kirby's should touch up easily.  What do y'all think?

post-3770-0-20194900-1454421110_thumb.jpg