Outer Banks 20...Build

GAP333

As I begin to assemble parts of my build I have questions about the use of epoxy I hope to get help on.

When I am joining flat surfaces of plywood to each other can they be glued with mixed resin and hardener, or must the mix always be combined with wood flour?  I have the B&B resin, hardener and mix.  I know the wood will absorb a portion of the epoxy and I should avoid having a dry joint by wetting each surface. 

I am questioning when I can use just epoxy and when I should be mixing the epoxy with the wood flour.  I have not used any of this before so don't hesitate to "school" me !    

What about finger joints, same general question here too?

post-3941-0-33295100-1457481943_thumb.jpg

'Wood flour"? I assume you mean the B&B mix, which is a mix of wood flour and cabosil. Wood flour alone is not good because the epoxy will just drain out of your joint or fillet.

I'd use the mix on the finger joints, but if you are sure your "flat surfaces of plywood are in good contact, I often just apply a heavy coat of resin/hardener to each piece without the cabosil mix.

To save the B&B mix for fillets where you want the wood color, just use cabosil to thicken your epoxy for other gluing jobs.

Yes that is what I meant, the B&B mix.  So that is good, I will use the resin/hardener mix on these panels that are new, clean and lay flat on each other, and add the mix for the finger joints.

I'm not clear about...."Just use cabosil to thicken the epoxy for other gluing jobs"...so I would purchase cabosil also and add it to the resin/hardener mix for maybe small points of contact that I am gluing?

Thanks, Again

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

post-3941-0-44961200-1477450321_thumb.pngpost-3941-0-52716500-1477450334_thumb.jpgpost-3941-0-03172500-1477450352_thumb.jpgpost-3941-0-10067500-1477450367_thumb.jpg

Hello,

So I've made some progress!  I had to carve out some time, but I determined to find a full weekend to work.  My health is 80% so that's good!  Now I fi nd that my big challenge is to get past the mistakes I make and discover only too late to completely correct.  My goal is to get a boat in the water and pray that is behaves like a proper boat should.   

I also had a challenge in getting my photos loaded onto my computer and then this forum.  Seem my hard drive is failing, and so is the one on my computer!   I'll see my doctor about the first issue.