Ice breaking

Randy Jones

I did a little ice breaking with Belhaven 19 on new years day.  It was lots of fun through the thin ice, then I started thinking too much as the ice got thicker.  We went through quarter inch ice at 4 knots without any apparent damage. I don't expect I will be doing much more ice breaking but I an wondering what the practical issues might be other than the obvious paint damage, frozen centerboards, and of course hypothermia.   Is this a reasonable thing to do with a stitch and glue boat?

I haven't broken ice since I was a teenager in frostbite classes. We literally kicked ice away from the boats and headed out into the bay, where it was clear. It was fun, serious skills and effort employed to prevent capsizing and occasionally we'd bounce off some floating ice. This was before 'glass sheathing and the most damage we had, were significant digs in the hull, usually just to one side or the other of the stem's rub strip (figures, right). Mostly paint blemishes and minor dings. I remember a holed boat once, but he'd smashed into a splinter shaped hunk of ice, that just harpooned him on a broad reach, when he had a bone in his teeth and was honking along good. He sailed to shore, with the ice still imbedded and dragged her up onto the beach.

Now, I can't imagine ever wanting to be in this type of water. Hell, it's in the 50's outside this evening and I'm not going back outside until it gets back into the 60's. This is long john weather to me, so sitting in a little boat with ice cold water dribbling around my butt and getting freezing water splashed on me upwind or kicking ice, just isn't anything more than a nightmare I'll eventually wake from.

The reality of the "involuntary breath" that occurs when entering subfreezing water suddenly, was part of my decision to stop frostbiting.  If you want to go, look at the Cape Cod Frosty.  Great group of people, and excellent sailors.  I once saw a boat get pushed by a harbor seal.  It was hilarious.