Future of B&B Yacht Design

Garry

I may have missed other posts relating to future plans for B&B Yacht Design, but I noticed this entry from Graham on another thread and thought that it deserved it's own thread.

After the completion of the cat we had to decide where the company was going. I could have carried on with Carla doing as much as we could but slowly grinding the business into the ground as we aged out. We had long recognized how good Alan was and decided to offer him a partnership. Earlier this year we formed B&B Yacht Design inc. with Carla, Alan, Beth and I as equal partners. As Carla and I age out they will take over and eventually inherit the whole business.

We kept Nat on to help out and David is doing most of the machining giving Alan and I more time to create. I see B&B growing a lot more in the future. It gives me a lot of satisfaction to know that the business will live on and that the builders who had enough faith to build our designs will know that they will continue to have support and keep up the value of their boats.

I want to applaud Graham and Carla, first for their commitment and innovation to boat design and building, and second for their foresight and good fortune in bringing Alan and Beth into the business. I also want to thank and congratulate Alan and Beth for keeping this wonderful enterprise alive. 

• Like 4

I've owned a business for 28 years and having a succession plan is very important. I was told by my lawyer that many successful businesses fail for lack of a succession plan when someone "ages out" (the designers words). Nobody gets to avoid age and it is fantastic for all involved that this has been taken care of.

My guess (from a conversation with Graham in February) is that Graham is in his early 70s. With good health and remaining active -- he has many remaining active and creative years. I've loved working with wood since a teenager. Built 3 small boats as a working young adult and father of a growing family. And 5 more in retirement after all four youngsters left home. After talking to Graham in February, I was inspired by him (and his Cs20.3 design) to build another boat at age 81. I'm now almost halfway thru construction -- and I KNOW the building of it has added enjoyable years to my life! I can't wait to get her on the water -- and then be challenged to build yet another boat (a dinghy for the Cs20.3). Good luck and best wishes to Graham, Carla, Beth and Alan and others who contribute to B & B's success and continuation.

• Like 1