Kayak Building Stands

Bomb69

I am getting ready to start my first kayak, a Vardo, (not even able to be called a noob yet) and I was wondering if anyone had specs or a quick sketch for some building stands.  I was just going to make a couple of saw horses but since I am going to take the time to make them, I thought that someone may know of something better instead of wasting my time on something that is "just adequate". Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I had a drawing in my book (I think) of the stands I use. But, saw horses work fine and are useful for other things.  

I do like recommend making them a little taller than  'standard', it puts the boat up a little higher and keeps you for bending over as you work and therefore is much easier on the back and neck.

• Like 1

Thanks Jeff.  I  see the section on page 5 with the photo and description of how you build them out of lap jointed 1x4's. I am sure the height is a preference, depending on the builders height, but do you know what would be a good width?

Thank you so much for your involvement!  It gives me the confidence that I can do this. Your product is excellent and to get access to your knowledge is incredibly valuable. Thanks for your time.

Frank

Interesting (?) note about the little horses. I built them from leftover spar stock from the little sailing canoeish thing I just built (quite the distraction from building). I use Japanese saws exclusively, so the low horses are perfect.

I built them to take on a floor install job, and the guy wanted to buy them from me. I said no, but he had enough money to convince me to build him a pair. Sorry Firefly, I promise I'll get back to you soon.

Hey, I have gotten all the frames notched, and one on the horse. I'll have to update my build thread here in a day or two...