Aussie CS 20-3#5 "Dragonfly 2"

Drew

Some pics of progress on the Coresound 20 down under. I am building it from scratch, so the double garage is a large collection of cut parts flying in loose formation. So here are a few photos if I can get them to load. This is how you try for accuracy if you don't buy a pre-cut kit :)
Centreboard is cut from planks of Pacific Maple, turned on edge, end-for ended, and glued using Bote-Cote epoxy. I had some carbon fibre left over from a project, so used that along the lead join before glassing with 10 oz cloth and priming with epoxy paint.
Sorry about the sideways photos. Weird!
Drew.

post-4623-0-68921500-1446546639_thumb.jpg

post-4623-0-97693900-1446546648_thumb.jpg

post-4623-0-74524000-1446546657_thumb.jpg

post-4623-0-12145200-1446546663_thumb.jpg

post-4623-0-05657300-1446546670_thumb.jpg

Alex, we have a couple a smallish lakes in Canberra, Google maps will reveal, but its only a couple of hours to the coast with lots of sailing options, and family who live near Newcastle, with Lake Macquarie a great place to sail. Also Moreton Bay near Brisbane - a long drive but good for a holiday and lots of places in between.

Steve, I added about 10kg of lead, which I moulded by building the centreboard then sitting it in moulding sand and pouring molten lead. Then I cut the exact shape and size off the finished centreboard and glued the lead onto the board. Then I epoxied carbon fibre cloth over the join and covered the whole board with 10oz cloth, wet on wet.

Hi Drew,

I'm on the Gold Coast and have sailed a lot in Moreton Bay over the years. I am wanting to build the 17MK3 but unsure about my future. I may go back to live permanently in Japan, not sure at this stage so no boat building for now.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Drew,

Have you decided what materials you are going to use for the mast yet. Peter from Brisbane bought the aluminium sections out from the US which ended up costing a whack. I have tried to source materials here in Australia and can't find any suitable sections so I am looking at a hollow birdsmouth wooden mast. If you haven't thought about this yet you may want to start looking at potential options.

Alex, I am seriously looking at a couple of second hand Hobie 16 type masts. They seem to have about the right wall thickness and even if I have to put a diamond on the mast I believe it could be worthwhile. A guy at Maroochydore refurbishes cats, so I am dropping by when I go up home to Caloundra for Xmas. Otherwise I will give thought to some aviation spar tubing which is available from Melbourne. I have had a few wooden masts over the years, but they would be a lot heavier if they are going to be strong enough to be un-stayed.

Steve, I have also built the cockpit module and then pulled it apart to build the hull. Now the time for truth, to put it back together and see if it fits. The plans are so easy that I am sure it will. It will be very satisfying to have a hull and cockpit assembled and start glassing the joints. At least it is summer here, so no NY winter to contend with when glassing.

Hi Drew,

The Hobie 16 mast is stayed and are you thinking of using it unstayed? Have you researched it and found it to be of suitable strength? The hollow birdsmouth wooden masts I have seen and felt are surprisingly light. I look forward to hear about your final choice.

Drew,

It pains me to think how a Hobie 16 mast could be used to rig your boat. To that end I am currently in communication with a guy named John at PerformanceMetals in AUS. From their website I see they have almost all of the sections that we specify in 6061-T6. 

I inquired about the possibility of adding the 3" x 0.125" wall tubing as well as the 2.5" x 0.125" wall which is used on the 17. So far it looks like they CAN supply theses sizes. I will post here when I hear more. 

Homepage: http://www.performancemetalsaustralia.com.au/index.php

Their stocklist: http://www.performancemetalsaustralia.com.au/round-tube-6061-T6-aluminium-stock-list.php

**Note: I haven't figured out how to get to the aluminum tube list from the homepage but typing "performancemetals 6061-T6" into google found it. 

• 2 weeks later...