Aussie CS 20-3#5 "Dragonfly 2"

Drew

Alex, thanks for the suggestions. Regarding the tabernacle, I have built according to the plans and don't believe I would use a mast that is larger than 83mm. Anything smaller and I will shim the inside of the tabernacle to suit.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys, I hope you are enjoying the northern spring. Sailing weather coming on. Can anyone tell me what distance you have used from bulkhead 4 to the H 073 eyestrap on the port side of the cockpit of the CS 20#3? I measure it out from the scale on the plans at 20 inches, but I don't want to set it up only to find I am short.

Hi Drew,

Alan has sailed out to Cape Lookout for the weekend, so I will answer your question. His wife asked if they could go sailing for the weekend, he dutifully obliged. He took the CS17 Southbound, the one that Ken built.

My Grand daughter Marissa came home for Easter from College and I am under orders to take her out on Carlita this afternoon.

I measure horizontally 20 1/2" from the aft side of bulkhead 4 to the middle of the eyestrap. It measures 37 1/4 back to the next one.

19 minutes ago, Designer said:

Alan has sailed out to Cape Lookout for the weekend, so I will answer your question. His wife asked if they could go sailing for the weekend, he dutifully obliged. He took the CS17 Southbound, the one that Ken built.

My Grand daughter Marissa came home for Easter from College and I am under orders to take her out on Carlita this afternoon.

It's a tough life, but some body has to do it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it might be time to do an update, but first the weather - its pouring rain. Today is Anzac Day here, roughly equivalent to Veterans Day, so being a vet, I joined the thousands in the rain with our best tie, jacket and medals, and marched in the rain to remember those with whom we served. Recovering from that, I took a few pics of the boat and cut some wood, always an uplifting activity. Below is my solution for storage, port and starboard. Runners that I will slide plastic bins into as shown in the second pic. The framework in the foreground is for the work top that will be used for nav (port) and stove (stbd).

IMG_1965.JPG.8f7b7a415c81d99c2c2fee45377271f7.JPGIMG_1972.JPG.cd0d5bdbfb23ad4ea5058eb6a5ed576a.JPG

The next pics show the way I have decided to cut the aft decking and also the motor mount. I bought a long shaft four stroke and I don't need to cut a well into the aft deck. The simple 5 degree wedge works nicely. Please ignore the junk in the background.

58feec330ccea_IMG_1967-Copy.JPG.e264a8108fe8c85a02dd4b3445f2e482.JPG58feec37c9e99_IMG_1968-Copy.JPG.2acb8cefc84ecea9b2f4f2f2e2060554.JPG

The next pics will (hopefully) show the view looking forward and the unfinished sliding companionway hatch. I still need to install coamings and drop board slides and finish the bright-work with many coats of clear 2 pack. Once again, please ignore the tools that haven't been put away yet.

58feed21bb693_IMG_1969-Copy.JPG.3a6f74be4656c830eb0db575e10d9a80.JPG58feed26ed510_IMG_1973-Copy.JPG.235f18445ff80ee0a0a63f4e401cf56e.JPG

That is about it for now, but there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel. 

This is what progress looks like at my place. Cockpit decking is cut and ready to glue and trim. Mizzen tabernacle has been cut and is ready to assemble and fit. It seems to me that the cockpit sole is about 2 degrees different from the designed water line, is that what others have found? This would have implications for fitting the mizzen tabernacle.

IMG_1382.JPG.d53ced225528035438aeeb1940039525.JPGIMG_1383.JPG.09aecdb4a7e9d7eed86a092f5a7029cc.JPG

Congratulations!  Looking really good.  All the work is worth it!  We really enjoy our boat!  We are going to install a mizzenmast tabernacle.  Only a matter of time before I whang the mizzenmast on something.  We need to repaint our cockpit because of all the hardware repositioning anyway so I will prefab a mizzen tabernacle and change it when the heat of summer arrives. 

Drew,

You already have the main mast set now that the tabernacle installed. Just match the mizzen mast angle to the main mast. The mast angle is not that critical as the mast heads will move around a couple of feet while underway. Aesthetically we like to have the rake of both masts match. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Drew, noticed your portlights will be non opening.  I made ours non opening and installed 1/4 plexiglass with 3M VHB double faced tape.   No screw holes, no plexi cracks,  nearly 2 years this installation is yet to leak a drop. Gotta say this is a first boat I have owned the cabin stays dry!  

Great idea Jay. I will give it a go. Crazing is one of my concerns since polycarb doesn't like some sealants. Its a bit more flexible than acrylic plexi and less inclined to shatter but no screw holes has got to be a good thing.

On 17 March 2017 at 8:21 AM, Drew said:

Alex, I too am having trouble finding suitable tubing that fits the specs without the expense of importing a special order, which I find very surprising. I tried the contacts that Alan recommended some time back, but they claim they can't supply without importing. Their 3 inch tube has a wall thickness of 6mm, so is not only heavy but won't mate with any suitable tube for the top mast section. I have no idea why. If anyone finds a suitable supplier in Australia, please let us all know.

Has anyone considered adapting windsurfer masts for parts of sail boats?

The older generation masts are about 50mm diameter and can be had for a song $ (especially second hand ones).

If you find a 'wave' version they are designed to take a beating in heavy surf.

Normally constructed out of carbon fibre and kevlar - They range in weight from 2 - 5kgs and lengths 4-5m. 

Wind surfer masts are tempting but for most of our boats they are not strong enough because they are loaded differently. On our boats the mast is planted like a flag pole. The unsupported length goes from the the deck to the mast head. On a wind surfer, the skipper is supporting the mast at about one third of the mast height leaving a much shorter unsupported mast length.

If anyone can find out the section modulus of  wind surfer mast at the lower end we can check if it is strong enough. We have used tapered fiberglass tubes for the upper portions of our masts. A wind surfer mast could be good for this application.

Apparently the mizzen mast for the NIS 26 has similar dimensions to our masts (so I am told) but I haven't been able to find any info on availability or cost. In Sydney (Aust) there is a manufacturer of carbon fibre equipment (CST composites) who also does yacht and dinghy masts. I am waiting for them to get back to me to see if this is an affordable option.