Mixing Pre-Kote

beagle2303

First time user of Interlux Pre-Kote and Brightside.  I am having problems mixing a quart of Interlux Pre-Kote.  The solids are stuck to the bottom.  Used a large screwdriver for 20 minutes.  Got a lot of the solid loose from the bottom but it still remains in a lump.  Just doesn't seem to want to disperse into the paint solvent.  Anyone else have this problem?  I have mixed gallons of stain before with solids at the bottom but nothing as difficult as this.

When solids drop out of suspension, hand mixing is very difficult. Machine mixing is the ticket, so get a mixing paddle (store bought or homemade) and pour off half to 3/4's of the paint into an empty can. You might need to mash and break up the congealed solids a bit, but the mixing paddle will eventually re-incorporate them into the resin/vehicle. Pour the removed paint back in and continue mixing. Some might suggest adding some solvent, but I usually wouldn't, because it'll dilute the paint, change the color, etc., though it can help reconstitute the solids into the paint.

You might also consider taking the paint up to the local hardware store and having them shake it for double the usual time, to see if this helps break up the solids. You still may need to use your mixer on the drill trick, but it'll be less work I suspect.

Thanks for the suggestion of the mixing paddle.  It worked.  Feel a little foolish.  All the paint and stain I have mixed over the years, I never used a drill with paddle.  Would have saved a lot of work when staining the siding on my house and deck.

Paint came from Overtons.  Just never experienced solids so difficult to mix. 

Most of us have "invented" a mixing paddle at one time or another.  Beware of the coathanger trick as thick stuff can cause the thin wire to bend and send whatever your are mixing all over the place as well as your new pants.  In really thick stuff, I like to clamp the can on a drill press and start slow.  Nice thing about the drill press is that you can keep mixing for a long time on old stuff.

I have used these with good success:

http://www.thepaintstore.com/SHUR_LINE_1_Gal_Paint_Mixer_06200C_p/06200c.htm

I also use them to mix epoxy. About 10 seconds or so with one of those and you are good to go. You could mix batches as small of one or two pumps all the way up to quart sized batches and larger. They really work.

Yeah, learned that lesson Tom. Never thought of using the drill press, but than again, I haven't had a need to mix paint for more than a few minutes. On cases where I have a lot of dropped out solids, I'll usually pour the paint into a separate can, poking at the solids when I can see them.