Belhaven 19 pondering the starboard fin

Randy Jones

I am considering adding "the fin" to the bottom of my Belhaven 19. This fin is part of the standard design and goes on the opposite side from the centerboard to prevent the boat from tipping to starboard when beached.  It sticks down perhaps a foot and is something like 3 feet in length.  With the fin, I would be more comfortable anchoring in shallow areas where I might come to rest on the mud during overnight low water.

From what I've read a foil shaped fin will provide lift which improves pointing ability while at the same time adding friction associated with its additional wetted surface area.  The boat points fine with decent wind but could use help pointing during light wind/low speed sailing.  My concern is that those light winds/low speed conditions are exactly the situation where wetted surface area is the dominate source of drag on the hull.

So, the question is will the fin help or hurt performance, or at least do no harm?  If you like to think about these things feel free to provide your two cents.  Installation could happen this winter if I get my act together.  

The low aspect nature of this type of fin will not help windward performance any and in low wind strengths, the additional drag will decrease performance slightly. I would imagine it's sole purpose is to let the boat take to ground bolt upright. Some additional tracking benefit will be seen, but that's about it. So, if you're beaching or aground a lot, the extra fin might be a consideration.

As per the plans: The bilge keel tapers from 19" long to 16", sits 21" off CL, and projects 6" below the bottom and 10" below LWL. I couldn't find a spec weight, but presume it's around 60#, to balance the 60# lead nose on the centerboard. The shape looks like a 0012 NACA foil with a molded-in 1/4" end plate. The design calls for the centerboard's leading edge, ballast keel, and bilge keel to line up and sit flat on a sandy bottom or a utility trailer (!).

This sounds like a great idea for the southeast coast with its endless flat sandy beaches; maybe not so much for the rocky inlets of the Salish Sea. I think I would save the effort of building this and just stuff a fender under the boat as I settle down on the bottom with the ebb tide. And the weight of a motor and fuel on the starboard side should fix the trim issues well enough (assuming I ever get around to building the darn thing...).

As always, though; different ships, different long splices.

cheers,

Lynn

The current trim of the boat and tracking are just fine.  I didn't realize the fin was so short, but then I have the boat but not the plans.  Getting up in the middle of the night to execute the fender maneuver is what has kept me from anchoring in the shallow stuff.   Thanks for comments.  I will procrastinate on it for awhile.

Randy the bilge keel will be difficult to add to your boat and get the so called tripod feature Graham talks about on the B&B website.

I built the keel a few inches deeper than the plans, there is an extra 3/4 inch of wood and about another inch of lead ballast. Counting the centerboard the lead ballast is right at 350 lbs instead of the standard 250lbs. This few inches deeper makes the centerboard come up short a few inches when its retracted. Look under the boat and you will see what I am talking about.

I have had the tide leave me high and dry a few times without any issues other then leaning over a few inches, not that big of a deal to me.

Scott