Pre Mess-About sailing adventure

Joe Anderson

Sally and I usually arrive early in the week for the Mess-about and try to fit in a multiday sailing trip before Friday.

In the past we have overnighted in Bonner Bay, Jones Bay and Rose Bay. This year I would like to explore Mouse Harbor. 

The plan is to leave Chapel Creek Tuesday October 20, 9am

Return no later than Friday October 23, Noonish

Anyone else up for a sailing trip before the Mess-about?

Joe

Wonderful!

My working plan is to head down the Bay River to the mouth of Gale Creek(ICW). There enter Ditch Creek take that to Jones Bay. From there out to the mouth of Jones Bay and up to Mouse Harbor. That is about 25 miles. I would like to go through Mouse Harbor Ditch and sail around Beard Island? and back to Mouse Harbor poking into all the little creeks and bays. If there is a way to get ashore and some solid ground a walk around would be nice. This is a Wildlife Management Area and consists of a series of impoundments. I think, hope  that duck season has not opened and that it will be fairly quiet.

post-491-0-24241600-1444558924_thumb.jpg

post-491-0-32240800-1444558947_thumb.jpg

A quick check of the NC Wildlife Resources Commission website tells me that the normal duck season will not be open at that time but the sea duck season will.  During that time ducks are allowed to be hunted on the Atlantic or no closer than 800 yards from shore (or marsh) if you're South of Hwy 64 (which you will be).  If I'm correct in my reading of that you will only hear distant duck-hunters' shotguns while anchored in a narrow creek but you may well hear other shotgun or rifle shots because someone may be hunting hunting deer, squirrel, possum, raccoon, coyote, etc. on shore.

I wish I could join the fun - Post pictures!

Thanks Ken. I will post some photos. I did not realize there is a separate sea duck season.

I am not really concerned about hearing gunshots. I like to poke into the creeks and bays that work there way back into the marsh. If I come across someone sitting in their blind waiting on some ducks, the only ones happy about that situation would be the ducks.