Painting Wisdom

Don Silsbe

Epifanes calls for the final sanding to be with wet sandpaper.  I used the regular Lowes 3M 320 grit, followed by 400 wet/dry.  (Coarser wet/dry paper is not readily available out in the boondocks.)  Hopefully between that, an alcohol wipe-down followed by a $24/pt brushing thinner wipedown, the paint won't peel off the boat.  Who knows?  You might see a real "fluffy" BRS 15 at the next Messabout!

Lowe's sells a 220 wet/dry.

Steve, I forget the manufacture of the paper that caused me trouble, except that it was a major supplier, because I don't usually buy cheap paper. I had to be 3M or Norton, but the paper (packaging) had "non clogging" advertising blurbs on it, which I ignored, simply selecting by grit and brand. The term "FreCut" was on it (I'm pretty sure it was a 3M product), but I've seen other examples of this non-clogging stuff that caused the same problem. To avoid this issue I carefully read the information on the packaging or web site, looking for the word "stearated", which suggests a paper that's got a non-clog coating. I steer clear of these at all costs.

Chick, that might be a workable solution.  I could save some money by buying Don a one way ticket.  Once he got bored with Perth I could just have him deported. :)  It would still cost less than hiring someone here to paint the boat.

What I'll really end up doing is trying to convince my wife that painting boats is fun just before I have to go away on business.  She's too smart for that, though.