Suzuki 2.5 hp transport bed . .

Pete McCrary

Before decking my Cs20.3 "Chessie," I custom fitted chocks to hold fast the motor in the starboard cockpit hatch while sailing or trailering. The photo shows the arrangement. The two small chocks prevent fore and aft movement. One holds the cavitation plate and the other braces the motor's carrying handle. The large chock prevents lateral movement and supports the motor's weight on its tiller as recommend buy Suzuki. A bungee will prevent the motor from bouncing out when trailering or falling out in a knockdown.

post-4915-0-71110000-1443291642_thumb.jpeg Notice the small cleat at the end of the large chock.

The chocks can be removed in case the owner has a different motor. Each chock is held in place by panhead screws thru the side of the cockpit footwell. The only piece that is glued in place is the small cleat at the outboard end of the main chock. Its purpose if to prevent movement of that chock's outboard end. A 3/8" thumb-screw does the job.

post-4915-0-85193300-1443292063_thumb.jpeg The scruff pads are 1/4" cheap plywood -- simply cut-to-fit and laid in place.

The Suzuki weighs 29 lbs (31 lbs with 1 liter of fuel). You can see that I clamped a hatch frame (forward edge) in place so that I could simulate removal of the motor while standing (or kneeling) in the cockpit footwell. For this old man, it's doable, but not easy! After releasing the hold-down bungee, the motor's cavitation plate is slightly raised over the chock (that prevents aft movement) -- then the motor is moved aft so that it may be lifted clear of the hatch frame.

Pete, what a good idea! We are using the same motor. Seems to have a fair amount of thrust for 2.5 hp. We found it a little fiddlesome getting the motor in and out, but doable. We have a pad that was used in the pipeline industry that is attached like a hammock in the starboard hatch. I think I like you idea better. R&D don't ya know!