Battery base & Pull-Out Galley . .

Pete McCrary

On my CS20.3 #4 I want 12 volt power and a convenient way for onboard cooking.

So, for the galley, I conceived of a way to make use of the stowage space aft of each bunk. The photoes show the bottom of drawers (port & starboard) that can easily be pulled forward into the cabin. Each is at a level so that when pulled out, the bottom will rest on the 3" bunk cushions. The starboard drawer is 17" wide, the portside one is only 16.25" because of the CB stiffener. Both are about 30" deep.

post-4915-0-82644900-1442779454_thumb.jpg post-4915-0-42536900-1442779705_thumb.jpg

The "galley" drawer will contain a small one-burner stove and other cooking equipment. The other drawer can be used for stowage of clothing, foul weather gear, etc. The drawers will have 4" sides and may be secured when under way. Under each drawer is significant stowage space. Perhaps one or more fresh water bladders from which [water] could be hand-pumped into the cabin area.

post-4915-0-30865700-1442780114_thumb.jpg post-4915-0-59804300-1442779855_thumb.jpg

I've located the battery forward of Blk#2 just above the keel. A battery box (of Group 24 size) will just fit thru the hatch in the shelf between Blks#1 & #2. The cleat at the keel / Blk#2 intersection will be permanently epoxied in place.

post-4915-0-56676200-1442779977_thumb.jpgpost-4915-0-64377400-1442780043_thumb.jpg

The plywood base (custom fitted to the battery box) is removable.

These kinds of mods are much harder (some even impossible) after installing decks, sheer strakes, etc. Suggestions would be welcome as to other useful mods that should be done at this time. I have in mind chocks and "hold-down" straps for the 2.5 hp Suzuki that will be stowed in one of the cockpit hatches.

Critical comments and suggestions are welcome.

Looks like you're right on top of things! What is your plan for a ladder into the cabin? Where do you plan to stow your porta-potti?

I like where you'll be stowing your battery. I was planning to have mine in a box/step as a part of the ladder. I'll have to see if there is room on my 17 up forward. My cabin top and berth tops are already on, so it will be harder to make the mods.

On the 17, the berth extends back under the cockpit seats. I guess it's totally in the cabin on the 20.

Keep up the good work! And be sure to keep the pictures coming.

Pete, I like your pull out galley idea. I think all of our cooking will be done on the aft deck, just too darn hot here to heat the cabin! . I placed a series 24 battery in the stbd aft 1/4 berth. Kinda grand description of that area, but my battery is there.

Good ideas, keep em coming, I am not above R&D!

Chick, . . I'm presently planning on stowing the porta-a-potti on the shelf under the bridge deck on top of the fwd end of the ballast tank. It's about 14" wide. That leaves about 8" of shelf space -- which should be enough for a fold-up ladder (to one side). I haven't sketched it out yet. I'm thinking two risers of 12" rather than three of 8". Much less complicated. The same result could be had with a 12" folding stool that could come in handy for other purposes.

I like it. It's exciting to see all the ideas on customizing these boats. My plan is to not put in a battery. My CS20.3 is going to be running completely on a small batteries and solar. I've been doing testing on a system with my Sea Pearl, and since I only will have LED navigation lights and a AA powered GPS and a phone and tablet, I won't have need for a group 24 battery. I plan on using the spots you are putting your slide outs in for clothing and gear for each person. I plan on doing my cooking in the front of the cockpit, but it will sort itself out. I'm gong wag bag and short bucket but I want to have the opportunity to change my mind. I am concerned the step down is pretty far and with the recessed foot well a sure opportunity to twist an ankle, so I plan a filler board that will double as a table when raised into position, but I reserve my right to change my mind. I also had a folding step on my Capri 18 which I think could work here, but I'm a long way from that!

I just spent a 4 nights and five days on my Sea Pearl and I'm excite to have a cabin someday. the good news is I'm back working on her again after a rough summer.

Take Care,

Steve

Pete, the shelf under the bridge deck is where I plan to store mine too. I'll work the rest out as soon as I can get back to work. I like your battery forward If it will work on the 17. Then all of my galley stuff will go in a box that will double as steps. It will move to the cockpit at cooking time.

Steve, I like lots of battery capacity for a 3 day, 2 night cruise. The main power drains are a cassette/CD player, and a good cabin light for reading.

I've never cruised in an open boat. There's just something about a cabin that I like.

Chick, I'll use LED lights, and a JBL Charge 2+ bluetooth speaker instead of a CD player (you ought ot hear this thing. Amazing). I converted my to digital and use my phone to play them. I have on a phone or MP3 player (ipod?) and have a solar panel big enough to charge my phone, speaker and anything else. I have two little USB batteries that can each charge my tablet and phone a few times and I use the sun to keep the batteries charged. Simple, light and of very high quality. I even have a NiMH USB battery charger for charging AAs for my bow and stern lights, flashlight, and Garmin GPS. I don't plan on running a single wire on my CS20.3, but I'm like that.

Wow Steve--- I don't even understand the terminology (!) I still have a flip phone with no texting. I have a bunch of old cassette tapes with Big Band music that was recorded off of a public radio program called Make Believe Ballroom. I like the idea of no wires. I don't know how I'd digitize them. Ya better run down here and help me with that. What battery running lights are ya gonna use? Where'd they come from? I guess I could use a battery powered cabin light of some sort that uses NiMH batteries for reading. I do have a little I-pod that I've downloaded some music from I-tunes on. To kinda let you know my technology level, I still have records!

Chick, me too on the vinyl. Moved on from tapes though. My kids tease me enough. If you have a computer, which you obviously do, put the CD in and choose RIP. it will be converted and saved as an MP3. I did this for all my 300 or so CD's. I bought a 128 GB memory card for my phone and can play anything and even make playlists. If you don't want a phone, get an MP3 player. They are cheap. the Ipod touch is a pretty good one. As for the lights, I am not sure. There are a lot of options and I can't wait until I need to have that conversation with myself!

Here's an update on the "pull-out" galley (or whatever) . .

post-4915-0-78277800-1443730979_thumb.jpeg

Here is the port-side drawer in stowed position. The sides are made of "door jam" stock which I found at Home Depot. It's labeled as pine, but it's more like cedar and very light. Each drawer weighs < 5 lbs.

post-4915-0-50731500-1443731073_thumb.jpeg

The drawer is pulled part way out. It can be easily placed on a bunk cushion (which will be ordered at 3"). Or even carried on deck. Or loaded in your shore-side kitchen and carried to your trailered boat.

post-4915-0-17064600-1443731124_thumb.jpeg

Each rail is made of a base to which is attached another rail with a 5/16" x 3/16" rabbit cut. This (rabbit) captures the 1/4" bottom of the drawer which extends 1/4" beyond the drawer sides. These rails are removable. They are screwed to cleats which are permanently glued to the bulkheads. On Blk#4 there will be a "dog" ?? which can be rotated to capture or release the drawer from forward movement.

post-4915-0-85681800-1443731164_thumb.jpeg

The starboard-side drawer in stowed position with camp stove and other stuff. I had guessed that the drawers were big enough -- but I wanted proof before embarrassing myself.

post-4915-0-88213300-1443731476_thumb.jpeg

Lastly, the galley drawer is pulled all the way out and placed as if it were on a bunk. More likely, I'd carry it to the cockpit for actual cooking.

The drawers and rails will now be removed until the boat is ready for fitting out.

By-the-way, I'm not finished with these spaces.

I'm going to fabricate brackets on Blks #4 & #5 that will support a removable AND adjustable shelf (port and starboard) up near the underside of the deck. I'm thinking of spacings of 2", 3", and 4" down from (the underside) of the deck and clear of the bulkhead(s) framing. The shelves shouldn't interfear [much] with the usefulness of the drawers. The shelves could be very useful for stowage of charts, magazines, cabin doors, drop boards, etc.

My milk crate galley seems sorta crummy, now...

That is exactly what I was thinking! I will probably finish mine without much built in and I won't paint the interior. I'm hoping that I will then take it for a week long cruise somewhere and all the ideas will sort themselves out. But I like a man on a mission. These upgrades look great.

Take Care,

Steve

Good plan and great execution. A portable galley unit is always a good addition. Will your dish pans, pan/pot, plates, etc. be in your port side drawer? I have the same stove as you. I like it. It would be helped with "rails" to hold a pot in place.

The port-side drawer is slightly smaller. I'll sort out placement of equipment after several overnights. After assembly and installation I realized that the bottom extension serves no purpose. It'll be cut off.

• 2 months later...

Hi Chick,..

The proof-of-concept was just dry fitted together. At this point I have now screwed and glued the drawers and rounded over all the edges. Next will be neat epoxy and maybe (later) paint. Of course, I haven't actually used them yet -- but I'm sure they'll serve me well. I've trimmed (off) the bottom extension that I thought would be useful to pull the drawer out -- but it actually just got in the way. I used cheap plywood (3/16") for the bottom. Makes it much lighter, and will probably be ok. But if I were to do it over, I'd probably find some real 1/4" for the bottom. After I'm on the water and put them to use, I'll post a review on performance and whether the skimpy bottoms were sufficient. The plywood bottom extends slightly and slides on rails. I added a cleat above the rails to keep the drawer from bouncing or falling out in a knockdown or bumps on the highway.