Oar Lock Location

JPower210

Good afternoon All-

I am thinking about oarlock placement on the CS17 I am building.  I am planning on  sails with reef points and tracks, and, at this point am not planning on the optional mast step unless the consensus is that it is key.  My thought is that I don't really want to be moving the mast in conditions that would require it, and the reef points will give me the options that I need.  As such, I am trying to figure out the best spot for oarlock placement that would let me row forward of the mizzen-  does anyone have measurements that have worked out well in practice?  I don't mind building up a seat that would sit on top of the CB case.  But, I am also open to suggestions!

Thanks!

JP

My newly acquired CS15 has a second rowing station ahead of the mast and I currently row from a thick boat cushion set on the CB trunk.  Only used it once so far the other day and it worked ok with two passengers sitting just aft of the mizzen mast to keep most of the live weight centered as much as practical. Will try it more and if ok will make a removable hard seat.   I'd try the cushion over the CB, and sit it far enough forward so your hands just clear the mizzen mast for a full rowing stroke.  I could measure mine from the centerline of the mast to the oarlock mounts if you wish as a starting point but we probably have a different reach or rowing style.  Rick

• 4 weeks later...

I have rowing stations for and aft of the mizzen on a well traveled CS 20. In practice the aft station keeps the boat in better trim, but 90% of the rowing has been from the aft position facing forward, tiller tween the knees. Often end up rowing for 10 minutes to the next whisper of wind and we ghost away under sail