SOF Outrigger Sailing Canoe

SailorSteve

So Jeff, how about a SOF Outrigger Sailing Canoe?   Paddle when the wind doesn't blow and sail when it does.  Still light enough to car top (if there's a quick and easy way to remove the Ama).   Maybe I should test this out on a Crawfish??   I think torsional regidity might be the only issue with any SOF design. 

Food for thought.  :)    Regards, Steve

Schultzcraft.jpg

• Like 1

I miss having a sailboat and on my bucket list is a sailing boat of some sort. I have look seriously at a trimaran. But lots of issues to work out.  A Proa or something along that line makes a little more sense. 

But as you said, rigidity is a big issue but I still think it can be overcome. But It will be a while before I get around to this.

Jeff, maybe we can collaborate on this.  Like you, I've got a lot of other 'must do' projects and not a lot of time.  However, I'm willing to invest some time and money in this, even if it takes a year or two to complete.  Send me a private message.  I'm only 2+ hours from you.   My thoughts on this craft are: good sailing performance, light weight (for potential car topping in future?), speed of rigging & launching (complexity of rigging up for sailing means it won't be used), and "elegant simplicity".   Regards, Steve

When building a traditional style kayak, the gunwales and deck beams are connected by joinery and form a rigid base upon which all else is built.

The gunwale/deck beam structure is, in essence, the strongback, too.

I'd suspect that how this one went, to. Those thwarts look to be tenoned through the beefy gunwales. Combine that with all those ribs, and the multitude of lashings they require, and you can imagine the rigidity.

I wouldn't know how to get that same rigidity in the fuselage style.

I built a plywood "three board" tacking outrigger canoe years ago that was a blast. Hulls and crossbeam were all keyed and lashed together. It had an old windsurfer rig. Took about twenty minutes from cartop to streaming reach.

I think a regular old sailing canoe would be fine. One of those old style gentleman-type, decked over sailing canoe type canoes.

I think that the Messabout/Castaway boat look a lot like the decked sailing canoes I used to see on Lake Michigan in my youth. Beamier, but same basic shapes. I wonder if that could be the basis for a sailing canoe.

With the rear deck beefed up the way Jeff designed it on the Castaway, you could mount an outrigger ama there. It's doubled up frames in less than a foot of waterline and a solid ½ inch plywood connector between them at deck level.

With the same kind of treatment somewhere forward of the bow-end of the cockpit, maybe you could step a mast. Don't know what you'd do for dagger boards/center board. Perhaps the outrigger would be enough.

I think the rigidity only needs to be in the main hull. In keeping with the nature of the build method, lashing on the connections will allow, by design, a little flexibility. I think it might be bad for one of these hulls to lock it too rigidly to something else.

If rigged as a shunting proa, the rig loads could be spread out by the stays, and the tension loads would be pretty low, as would the force exerted on the mast step.

Plus, if you're shunting, you can build the hull asymmetrical and steer with a paddle, or one at each end, and do away with foils and their loads, too.

I'm not sure about the displacement ratios between the hull and outrigger of the different types, either (tacking/shunting, single ama/double ama, etc.), but they're kind of important to performance, too, I think.

Okay, I'm totally excited about an SOF proa again.

But I'm still thinking about the regular old sailing canoe for m'self...

Jeff, maybe we can collaborate on this.  ...

Thanks for the offer but I can't do more than play on the computer for quite a while. I have to get my Chris Craft back in the shop, flip it over and it rebuild the hull. I have parts of it scattered all around and I need that space next year.  I want to teach classes and while I have reservations about it, if I had this boat finished I could just hold small classes here and not have to payn rent for a classroom. And I really want to do classes next year.

As for converting an existing design it sort of depends on what you want in a sail boat.  I have watched videos of sailing kayaks and they are VERY WET rides! Watch the Hobie Videos and you will see what I mean.  Lot of spray coming off the hull(s). Our best sailing weather is fall, winter and spring. After a lot of looking if I design one it will likely be a purpose built hull instead of trying to adapt a kayak.  

I don't care to sail unless it is blowing hard. But to design a boat that will take higher winds raises a lot of strength issues. Speed also means harder impact with float debriss so you probably want stronger fabric.  Just a lot of things to be worked out and I have to worked out before I would put my name on one.