New fabric update

Kudzu

I have been talking to Mill that does specialty weaving in smaller runs about some fabrics. I sent them samples of the existing fabric, they analyzed them and they made some recommendations.I was very surprised to find out that the 8 oz. fabric I sell is actually a 6 oz fabric.

They sent me a sample of a 6 oz polyester that is supposed to be twice as twice as strong as the "8 oz" we sell.  It has a beautiful fine, tight weave with a high thread count. It much thinner and smoother and honestly feels like it would be much weaker.  I haven't tried painting it yet but I am betting it is going to have a very smooth finish. Probably will only take 2 coats of paint to seal it. The only problem I see is it will probably cost $6.00 a foot vs. $4.50 for the existing 8 oz.  That is getting close to the 11 oz at $7 a foot if I could get some more.  

Speaking of which I have found a replacement for the 11 oz but it would go up to $8 a foot. I thought it was pretty expensive at $7 so I have been hesitant to buy it..

I really like this fabric and I think it would make a great skin. I don't plan on dropping the "8 oz' fabric but the new one appears to be a much better choice, expect for price.  

Photo of the two.  the 8 oz I sell on the right.  The new on the left.  You can see how much finer the weave it.

FnW3X8Ph.jpg

Jeff, in your OP, you've confused me.  You stated:

"They sent me a sample of a 6 oz polyester that is supposed to be twice as twice as strong as the "8 oz" we sell.  It has a beautiful fine, tight weave with a high thread count. It much thinner and smoother and honestly feels like it would be much weaker. "

Then, later in your post, you stated:

"I really like this fabric and I think it would make a great skin. I don't plan on dropping the "8 oz' fabric but the new one appears to be a much better choice, expect for price. "

So, I'm unsure of your view on this fabric.  Can you clarify?

Thanks.

Exciting. I'm anxious, and all for easier to sew. Although, I sew a fair deal of heavy duck, and SHARP needles help. Yes, Virginia, you can hone em just like a fish hook...

The stuff on the left looks like a shiny version of the recycled bottle cloth, which has a great weave and was easy to sew.

Shoot, by the time I get ready to skin, this will probably be academic.

Photo of the two fabric painted and abused. Two coats of Rustoleum black because that was what was handy. Two coats sealed the new fabric no problem. Old still needs a 3rd coat.

jlRBxyzh.jpg

I probably should not have used black, it makes the smoother fabric look a little smoother than it actually is, but it is much smoother looking than the original 8 oz.  I beat them with a screwdriver till I put holes in t hem.  I filed the edged with a rasp. Then I beat them with the rasp.

Verdict is the new fabric seems as tough as the original. The new one MIGHT puncture just a little easier but without some consistent method of testing it is just an educated guess.  But both take a hard impact to puncture the skin so what ever difference there is won't matter in practical terms. You have to remember we paddle at 5-6 mph if you are sprinting. Most times 3 mph is more the average. So impacts are relativity minor. No where near what it took to puncture the skin.

Beating it with the rasp, cosmetically speaking the new fabric fared better. It didn't scare as bad and I didn't see an bare threads. I saw a few bare (broken?) threads on the old fabric. But again,  it's not a great way to test them because there is no consistency.

Pretty confident this new fabric will hold up as well as the old.  Probably will order a roll of it.

Also, glad I waited on ordering the new 11 oz I found.  My original supplier has a new salesman and he informed me of how I can buy smaller quantities of the original fabric. I guess I was to small for the guy he replaced to fool with.  So should have it back in stock in couple of weeks.

All the calling an emailing and just pestering the crap out of salespeople has paid off in a odd way. I tried to get samples from one company for almost two years now. No joke!!  I would go through my list and see I had not heard from them and shoot them another email.  Almost wrote them off but it paid off today.

Looks like I have scored a few thousand yards of a fabric that is almost identical to the loose weave 8 oz fabric. It was made with the wrong yarn and will not meet their clients Quality Control so it was rejected. Now they have no one that wants it and they want it gone! . ;)  I need to do the stretch, staple, sew, shrink, and seal test just to verify it works the same as what I sell.   If so I will be able to sell it a much better price than the current 8 oz!

Jeff, are you going to get in any of the new 6 oz. polyester material?  It sounded pretty good.  Is it still capable of being shrunk with an iron??

I am going to get some of it but I am not sure when. But I doubt it will have much, if any shrinkage. But with the tight weave you can sew it on tight to start with.