Halyard length and snotter attachments

I have completed the masts with the halyard block, track and turn button stop.  Missing the CL211 clamcleats for the halyards.  I assume there is supposed to be one for each mast.  Not necessarily a good assumption I'm sure.  I am concerned about the length of the halyard for both the main and mizzen.  I am thinking that they need to be about twice the length of the sail track plus some five feet?  I"m also assuming that there is to be one clam cleat for each mast.   I am thinking, rightly or wrongly that I will want the halyards long enough and available for reefing in the sails if needs be, and thus run back into the cockpit for the main at least.  The plans I have do not show the use of sail tracks so I am a bit confused by the dashed lines which represent the snotter sheets and main halyard.

I increased the length of the masts much like many of you to bring the sails up and out of the cockpit to make it easier to see forward while on the water.  Main is now 22.5 feet mizzen is 21.5 feet.  The question is where pray tell do I install the snotter eye strap attachment?  If I reverse engineer the measurements on the plans (remember these are plans printed in 2008)  I am suspecting that I should install them at around 9 feet up from the base of both masts or there about.  I hope I am right.  If I get them installed today I can set the masts and begin the deck hardware install.

It appears to me that I can run the snotter  sheet from the Main back to the cockpit for adjustments and the mizzen will be right there at hand for any required adjustment underway.

So close and yet still confused.......................

Thanks Folks

Jim Atkinson

• 2 weeks later...

Halyards are best cut to suit, once the rig is setup. You can approximate from the plans, getting quite close to what you'll need, but to fine tune, you'll need the rig in the boat and your butt in the cockpit. So, measure from the plans and order line as necessary as a continuous length. Add a little length to accommodate any mis-measuring and remember to add any amount, if you're pulling the halyards around to cleats, turning blocks and your hand.

If you don't get a good answer about the snotter attachment point you can find it by waiting until the boat is finished and taking it for a sail.  You can just tie a loop of line around the mast and see how the sail sets.  If the leach is too tight the snotter should be lowered, if the foot is too tight the snotter should be raised.  Once you find the right spot mark it so you can install the hardware later.

If you can adjust the height of the sail on the mast using a halyard and a downhaul it might be good to set the snotter hardware up so it is just a little too low.  That way you can fine tune the snotter position by moving the sail a little up or down.