Retractable skeg tests

Kudzu

I mentioned that I was adding a retractable skeg to my new boat. I have had a chance to paddle it a few times and finally got to try it out in some stronger winds and will say I like what I see.... or feel.

One thing I don't think I mentioned is that is it mounted in the center of the boat, right behind the paddler. This is idea came from Reg Lake and is used on Sterling Kayaks. I have read what little I could find on this and have been dying to try it for some time. I have more testing to do but from what I have seen so far, I really like it.

Unlike a stern mounted skeg the effect is ..... subtle. It is hard to tell if it is up or down and I can only really tell when I start to make a slow turn. Short Shot turns very east sitting still and with the skeg down you really notice it doesn't turn easy.  It still turns when you lean it just the same as it did.

A couple of weeks ago I was in Tennessee paddling on Woods Reservoir and we had some stronger winds blowing. When we got out in the open as I expected the boat wanted to weathercock a little with the quartering wind gusts. The wind was not as strong as I hoped honestly and weathcocking was slight. But dropping the skeg I was surprised that I didn't notice any real difference. I paddled a ways and raised it up and down and realized it was working but just didn't 'lock up'  the rear as I expected it too. It did really cut down on the amount of weathercocking. I paddled with it up and down all afternoon and it worked flawless.

I still more research to do. I think it would benifit from a larger blade but there are space limits.  I do have a new design that will allow the blade to swing down further and put more blade in the water. I have a boat I may put that on in the next couple of weeks.

I don't know what you got going, and I understand your reticence to share, but my brain won't ever shut up.

This is all academic to me, because I'm not looking to skeg a boat, but what if you used a scimitar shaped blade that sort of rotated down like a cat claw. My thinking is as it goes deeper, it also moves aft a small amount. The end result, fully deployed, would look a bit like a tuna fun, I suppose, or a surf board fin. Crescent moon.

You might could get more depth and effective length from the smallest case that way, too.

Of course it should stay mid body, which is something I'd never seen nor heard of. I like it.

My unsolicited opinion. I look forward to seeing your design.